UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2024, 12:31 am   #1
Alan Bain
Pentode

Default HP BNC connector

I'm looking for an HP 1250-0870 BNC panel mounting socket. It mounts in a D shaped cutout in the panel and is intended for direct attachment of a coax.

(An elephant seems to have sat on one on an HP frequency source and rendered it elliptical. I thought I had some suitable replacements, but they mount in a much smaller hole)

Various sources exist - but I don't like the sound of ones that suggest they were pulled from nice pieces of HP test equipment!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hp-con.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	295128  
Old 20th Mar 2024, 12:41 am   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: HP BNC connector

That looks like a thin coax cable like RG188 or RG174, in which case I have two possible candidates. Let me know the critical mounting dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BNC RG174 Jack.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	295129   Click image for larger version

Name:	BNC Bulkead Jack.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	295130  

It's good here
Old 20th Mar 2024, 11:45 am   #3
Alan Bain
Pentode

The mounting hole cutout looks like this. Dimensions are marked but since handwriting on a mouse pad can be hard to read it is essentially a truncated 12.73mm diameter hole with distance from flat to edge at 11.90mm (I am sure this was originally in inches!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6663 (Large).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	295145  
Old 20th Mar 2024, 1:55 pm   #4
Julesomega
Nonode

Your internal dimensions are 0.1mm larger than the connector external dim's! I'll pop one in the post if you PM or email me your address. The screen connection has to be crimped, so leave that til last and crimp lightly with pincers or large pliers. The centre pin is soldered, you can see the capillary feed hole on the similar RG58 type on uk.rs-online.com
Unfortunately their datasheet omits any assembly instructions so you will have to work out the cutting lengths by careful experiment.

It's good here
Old 20th Mar 2024, 2:21 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Actually, it looks just like the one I'm holding in my hand

1250-0870 50 Ohm short-thread BNC on one end, about 2 ft thin 50 Ohm coax and a 50 Ohm SMB on t'other end. Yup, it's actually marked 1250-0870 on the connector

And it even has the tiny EMC toroid on it.

It was something I kept as a spare when I put the gated sweep measurement hardware in my 859x prototype analyser. So, completely surplus to requirements.

David
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 7:47 pm   #6
Alan Bain
Pentode

Thanks for a couple of very kind offers of assistance above. I took up David's offer and the socket with lead arrived today. As might be expected since it is the identical part number to the damaged one, it fits perfectly.

Moderators, this thread can now be closed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6672.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	295324  
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 11:06 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

All's well that ends well, and Julian's pristine new BNC remains should he need it for something afresh.

David