UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2006, 4:03 pm   #1
beery
Heptode

Default Douglas Avo coil winder help needed

Hi All,
is there anyone out there with a Douglas Avo no.1 or no.3 coil winder with machining facilities to copy some of the parts?
I recently obtained a no. 3 machine with some parts missing.

Cheers
Andy
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 7:53 pm   #2
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Douglas Avo coil winder help needed

Hi Andy, I have a Douglas Avo coil winder which is idle at the moment,but unfortunately no machining facility, if you are totally stuck you could borrow it until you can get the parts made.
Mike
Old 25th Jun 2006, 11:52 pm   #3
beery
Heptode

Hi Mikey,
that is very kind of you.
There is a machine shop that I can use near me, so they could copy the parts in question. The wire guide that is moved by the lead screws being the most complicated bit that is missing. To clarify, I mean just the arm with the two pulley wheels on it...

Cheers
Andy
Old 26th Jun 2006, 8:08 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery
Hi Mikey,
that is very kind of you.
There is a machine shop that I can use near me, so they could copy the parts in question. The wire guide that is moved by the lead screws being the most complicated bit that is missing. To clarify, I mean just the arm with the two pulley wheels on it...

Cheers
Andy
Andy
There are two versions of this part for different wire sizes. The one without pulleys has a pair of spring blades amd glass tube rollers. These are for thicker wire sizes.
What else is missing?
Old 26th Jun 2006, 7:00 pm   #5
beery
Heptode

Hi Mikey,
the coil winder is actually fitted with the remaints of a guide tube type wire guide, no glass tubes and only one tube pin, which is bent.
Fine wire would be the norm for me, so which one was best for that?
Anyway, the other missing parts are the wire guide arms connected to the tensioner and the two rotating centres/tailstocks and the shafts that they fit on to. I have obtained ball-raced pulleys for the guide arms and feed arm.

Do you have the facilities to make the parts required?

Cheers

Andy
Old 26th Jun 2006, 8:33 pm   #6
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Andy,

in caes you haven't found it already, the manual, and an article that Mike (Phelan) wrote about the coil winder are to be found at:

www.g1jbg.co.uk/service.htm

Jim.
Old 27th Jun 2006, 7:56 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery
Hi Mikey,
the coil winder is actually fitted with the remaints of a guide tube type wire guide, no glass tubes and only one tube pin, which is bent.
Fine wire would be the norm for me, so which one was best for that?
Anyway, the other missing parts are the wire guide arms connected to the tensioner and the two rotating centres/tailstocks and the shafts that they fit on to. I have obtained ball-raced pulleys for the guide arms and feed arm.

Do you have the facilities to make the parts required?

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy
I do have all the facilities except one - time, aka the enemy. Sorry.
I am in the process of making a similar coil winder; six months into the project has got a complete frame, one leadscrew and the two rotating centres.
We tend to be away at weekends until aboul September, so with a bit of luck and a fair wind, it may get completed in 2006, it may not.
I don't do "rush"!
Maybe someone else on the forum may step in to help?
Anyways, good luck.
Page 5 of the manual (from Jim's site) shows the pulley type guide being used for smaller gauges of wire, but does not mention the vane type, except in the parts list, so I think that is for thicker wires - say 20 SWG? - that could not wrap around the pulleys easily.
HTH