UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2006, 2:37 pm   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default EHT measurement probe

Doctor Who's thread about EHT in his television has set me to wondering (again) about whether anyone still sells EHT probes - the ones which incorporate an electrostatic meter.

I own (though I've been very reluctant to try using it) a probe that purports to measure EHT from about 5 to 30 KV by adjusting the gap between two metal spheres until an arc is formed. I would, however, feel much easier about using the electrostatic meter type of probe - and I do like to be able to measure things.
Old 8th Jun 2006, 2:58 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: EHT measurement probe

I have used my home made 25kV EHT probe for many years. It's 500M of resistors in a paxolin tube, all neatly soldered. There's an earth guard ring and a lead to feed a 50uA meter. The actual resistors are VR37 series, 33M with a padding resistor to make it exactly 500M. There's also a resistor (100K?)across the output lead to stop it floating when the meter is disconnected.

The resistors do need to be rated for high voltage, hence VR37 series.

I did calibrate my probe with a DVM and a 1kV supply but it's going to be within 5% even if you don't do this.

I suppose that 50uA at 25kV is more than an electrostatic meter takes but I doubt that will be a problem. These days I use a DMM on the uA range and convert to kV in my head, remembering that each uA is 500V.
Old 8th Jun 2006, 4:24 pm   #3
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Your "ad hoc", Jeffrey, is almost identical to at least one (previously) commercially available EHT probe: a paxolin tube full of megohm resistors (but without the no-load safety tie-down). I used to use an EHT discharge resistor (off an old Ekco) in a paxolin tube, and do the arithmetic in my head !
Old 8th Jun 2006, 6:51 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

Hi

I've got a Brandenberg EHT meter which measures up to 30kV DC. It uses 3 x 15G ohm resistors in series, mounted in a potted housing located in the instrument itself, with a large ribbed feed-through insulator for the HV probe flying lead. The series resistors then feed a 3140 op-amp, which drives a large mc meter with mirror scale. It claims a current of less than 1uA with an accuracy of 1%. How that compares with the spec. of an electrostatic meter is unclear - presumably even the best electrostatic instrument will have some leakage current.

The instructions include a warning not to connect the probe to HV supplies capable of giving more than 5mA without the supply being switched off. Seems a sensible idea to me!

Ron
Old 13th Jun 2006, 11:14 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan
Hi

I've got a Brandenberg EHT meter which measures up to 30kV DC. It uses 3 x 15G ohm resistors in series, mounted in a potted housing located in the instrument itself, with a large ribbed feed-through insulator for the HV probe flying lead. The series resistors then feed a 3140 op-amp, which drives a large mc meter with mirror scale. It claims a current of less than 1uA with an accuracy of 1%. How that compares with the spec. of an electrostatic meter is unclear - presumably even the best electrostatic instrument will have some leakage current.

The instructions include a warning not to connect the probe to HV supplies capable of giving more than 5mA without the supply being switched off. Seems a sensible idea to me!

Ron
Yes, I own one too - from my CTV servicing days. Good, aren't they? The one feature I DO appreciate is the big red guard so that your hand doesn't slip down the probe handle onto the EHT source!!! The "Test Batt." switch position is a worthwhile feature too.
Closed Thread