UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2010, 2:57 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default 150 Candlestick won't dial out when bell on

For several years I have had a 150 phone which I bought with no internal wiring whatsoever. A kind member of this forum sent me an induction coil which does not actually have the resistance values of that in the N150 wiring diagram but which nevertheless works.

I wired the whole thing up and it worked ok except for an intermittent fault with mis-dialling of which more later. The coil, however,was just hanging by its wires outside the body of the phone which was not very satisfactory. I have therefore just bought a 1A bellset also sans wiring but with a nice brass switch on the front for the bell.

I have wired this up as per the N150 diagram as amended by this http://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm site. Now the phone works normally when the bell is switched off but if I try to dial out with the bell switched on the dialling tone remains when I have dialled a number. I assume I must have made a wiring mistake somewhere, but I cannot find where it is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The original problem with the dial is that it often misdialls to give wrong numbers. This is improved if you leave your finger in the dial hole as it retirns to the stop. I don't think this is to do with the return speed as this seems normal and the "fix" remains whether you manually slow the return or speed it up. Again, has anyone any suggestions. The dial seems to be the original (No 10?) one.

Thanks

Paul
Old 11th Jul 2010, 5:13 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: 150 Candlestick won't dial out when bell on

Failure to dial out means there is a DC path between pins 2 and 5, in parallel with the phone.

The bell coils should be connected between pins 3 (blue) and 5 (white), possibly with a 3.3KΩ resistor in series.

If you are not using the blue wire, but relying on the capacitor in the bellset, then make sure this component is not leaky. A multimeter set for DC milliamps should show no reading when connected in series with the bell coils.
Old 17th Jul 2010, 11:38 am   #3
PaulR
Dekatron

Thanks AJS, sorry for the delay in getting back - its been a busy week!

Using the N250 diagram, the bell is connected between T and E. The lower resistance side of the inductor is between TR and L1 and the higher between R and T. The line cord is: Red L2, Blue T and White L1. The phone cord is Red TR, Green R, and White L2. I haven't put a resistor between E and L1 as the other phones in the house ring OK without it, and there is no conncetion between T and L2. I think this is what the amended diagram says!

The bell is very "lively" as they used to be years ago, it tings when the receiver is picked up for example.

I haven't checked my wiring of the phone itself as it seems ok except for the bell problem.

Thank you

Paul
Old 17th Jul 2010, 12:08 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Just to clarify, terminal 3 of the 26R induction coil (and the non-E end of the bell coils) is connected directly to T without the condenser? Also, make sure that there really is no connection between T and L2 - my bellset has a wire soldered between the two terminals (hence I use it in two-wire mode, utilising the internal capacitor, as I do not wish to make permanent modifications).
Old 26th Jul 2010, 8:24 am   #5
PaulR
Dekatron

Dave - I have wired it up from scratch. The bellset was originally a 1A but someone gave me an inductor so I have wired this in. The resistance of the inductor coils is rather more than that shown on the diagram but it works OK as far as speech is concerned. I had to add more terminals in the box to take the inductor and there was no original wiring to speak of.

My inductor has one coil with higher resistance than the other so I wired it up with the higher/lower resistance ends according to what was shown on the diagram for the original inductor.

I am not sure how, but could the non-standard inductor be the problem?

Thanks

Paul
Closed Thread