UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2017, 9:55 am   #1
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Challenge 106.

Hi. I have purchased a Dansette Challenge 106 from a charity shop. It is OK but no sound. Every thing else works OK Auto changer works fine. the platter spins freely. It needs a new cartridge. But this is where I boobed I removed the two wires and touched the red wire and there was a buzz so it seems the amplifier is good. But I broke the wires on the cartridge. How do you fix this. Is it difficult to do? The wires are so thin. Also the spring on the tone arm detached how do you get it back on? I paid £15 for this item. And where can you get a new cartridge? Can any one help me?

Hoddbod
Old 21st Sep 2017, 10:26 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Challenge 106.

Post the cartidge type and model, if you are not sure post some pictures of the cartidge. Many forum members will know what type to replace it with.

If you can solder, attaching the wire back is straightforward but do not solder it with it with the clip attached to the cartidge. Heat will ruin the cartidge.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 10:59 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It will not be at all easy for you to get a high-ouput cartridge suitable for this type of player.......You could buy a modern stereo cartridge for £38-40, but this will only provide a low sound output from the amplifier. If you only intend to play 45s and early Mono LPs, you can buy a rebuilt BSR TC8H cartridge from a seller on an auction site c. £37-40 or a re-manufactured one from Australia for £55 - but as said, these are Mono and will damage Stereo pressings.

Another option for you is to build or buy a transistor pre-amplifier which would boost the output from a new stereo cartidge to fully load the very basic amp in your Challenge. You could then play Stereo LPs. Do you feel you have the skills to take this on?
Old 21st Sep 2017, 11:12 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Dare I suggest that, if the exsisting cartridge is known to be faulty, in order to make a fiddly job easier, it would be OK to solder the wire to the tag with the latter on the old cartridge, but on no account solder to the tag(s) when they are attached to a new or known good cartridge. As Frank says heat will ruin a good cartridge, and they don't come cheap these days - upwards of £35 or more!
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 5:05 pm   #5
Clydeuk
Hexode

Most of these will have 4 wires in the tone arm, so worst case scenario if you're struggling to solder the tiny wires back on, you could use the other 2 wires and link them to the correct terminals on the tagstrip under the deck. This will be easier as you're not dealing with very thin wires and fiddly terminals.
Old 26th Sep 2017, 7:41 pm   #6
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

To Clydeuk.

Hi your advice works. I got a new cartridge delivered today. Cost a arm and a leg. I did as you said and my Challenge 106 plays OK. Played my 58 year old Buddy Holly album (mono). Played really well. I will now get the case looking a bit better but I won't go overboard, just a tidy up.

Hoddbod
Old 26th Sep 2017, 9:14 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I'm glad you've got it playing so well done. Out of interest, what cartridge did you get in the end?
Old 27th Sep 2017, 9:53 am   #8
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

I got a Mono L/P 78 direct replacement. With postage £50 plus. Ouch. But with the cost of player £15 from a Sue Ryder charity shop I've a working Dansette
for £65. Not bad at all.

I will only play Mono records on this machine.

I will play my stereo records on my Ferguson Studio 100D.

Hoddbod
Old 27th Sep 2017, 3:44 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Thank you, yes I knew the price might be high!
But, as asked, what is the make and type number of the cartridge? Mono, LP, 78 are just generic terms. Is it a BSR TC8H as originally fitted?
Old 27th Sep 2017, 7:14 pm   #10
Audio1950
Dekatron

Please tell us it isn't a "copy" Ronette DC284......

Barry
Old 27th Sep 2017, 9:39 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well, yes - that's just what I was wondering....
Old 27th Sep 2017, 10:46 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Does it matter, if the OP's happy with it?
Old 28th Sep 2017, 11:51 am   #13
Audio1950
Dekatron

In my humble opinion, yes it does matter, because these cartridges have very stiff horizontal compliance. As these are mono cartridges, vertical compliance is not so much of an issue, but horizontal compliance is vital, and without it, they will tear records up in no time. I have bought two of these, and discarded both.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 11:13 am   #14
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

The cartridge I purchased came from Dansette Products Ltd in Rochdale. It is a TC8 Mono Crystal Turnover. I got the price wrong. It cost £45 Plus £3.25 postage. Is this a good one and could you tell me the tracking weight on this player?

It plays very well and it sounds reasonable for a single speaker machine. There have been a lot of threads that state that these old machines wore out records quickly. But is this true? In my teens I purchased a record player from Currys, it was not a Dansette but almost identical, I can't remember the make. I played my Buddy Holly Records many times and the Beatles. They still play well on the Dansette and also on my Ferguson 100D. These records are well old but they still sound good.

Hoddbod.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:44 pm   #15
Audio1950
Dekatron

The TC8 is an ideal cartridge for this Dansette, and should track well at around 5-6 grammes.

I take the view that as most of the sixties records that are still available today, especially the singles, were probably played thousands of times on record players of this type, and still sound good, so they can't have suffered much.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 11:01 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It may be a BSR TC8, but is it a TC8H? If it's a TC8M it will play OK, but I'm afraid it will not play very loud on LPs. It will be adequate for 45s and 78s.
Old 1st Oct 2017, 6:46 pm   #17
John10b
Nonode

I note the web site only states “TC8”. I did enquirer about the output voltage some time ago, but did not get answer!
John
Old 1st Oct 2017, 7:21 pm   #18
Audio1950
Dekatron

If the cartridge body is orange, then that's the TC8H (high output), if it's brown, it the TC8M (medium output).
Old 4th Oct 2017, 10:15 am   #19
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

It is an MTC8 and it is brown. It plays my LP's loud enough for me. Would the red one play better?

I have a Ferguson Studio 100 D what stylus do i need for this player? It plays OK but I have no idea how old the present stylus is so I want to replace it with a new one so I know it is all OK.

Hoddbod.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 2:06 pm   #20
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Musonic have the (LP only) stylus for your Ferguson 100D for £9.00.

As for your Dansette "Challenge", I am not familiar with a so-called MTC8 cartridge.
The red/orange bodied BSR TC8H is the best one for your Dansette and this was the type originally installed.
The Brown bodied BSR TC8M is not really suitable for your type of player. However, if what you now have is adequate, then suggest you leave as is.