UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2006, 7:39 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Talking about Wireless - Harpenden 1st October

The talk will be given by Norman Green. The subject is EMI's contribution to television. It will be a revised version of a talk he gave to the IEE last year. We also hope to have an EMI 2001 colour camera demonstrated working.

Norman used to work for EMI and has done extensive research on the history of television.

If anyone else has any nice EMI broadcast hardware or literature it would be great to bring it along. Please contact me to make arrangements.

As usual the talk will be at 12 noon. More details to follow.
Old 27th Aug 2006, 5:23 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Talking about Wireless - Harpenden 1st October

Is it possible...just an idea....to have a Camara there to record these talks?

For Posterity, and for people who can't get there?

Like I said, just an idea.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 27th Aug 2006, 5:26 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Already working on this. I'll be talking to Norman Green abouit what he want to do and Jon Evans is interested in putting the material on a BVWS DVD.
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 1:23 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

A few people approached me after Norman's talk and said how much they had enjoyed it. It's the sort of positive feedback that makes me feel that we're doing something worthwhile.

It's a fairly long shot but I hope to convince Norman to expand his talk into a DVD which could be published by the BVWS. He had been thinking of something like this, especially as he has all sorts of excellent archive footage available, but it's a lot of work putting together this sort of production. I'll keep working on him!

A perennial problem is finding good speakers for these talks. TAW is about making Harpenden meetings more than a flea market. Demonstrations and exhibitions are also a valuable part of this. If anyone is harbouring an interesting talk or knows somebody who might then please get in touch with me. Likewise if you can provide interesting exhibits or demonstrations then please contact me. The next available slot is June 2007, then October 2007.

Unfortunately Jules the bakelite man has had to cancel for June 2007. I hope we can get him fo June 2008!
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 2:07 pm   #5
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Demonstrations and exhibitions are also a valuable part of this. If anyone is harbouring an interesting talk or knows somebody who might then please get in touch with me.
If TAW extends to "Wireless With Pictures" and there's enough interest, then you might get one out of me, on the "using a PC to generate obsolete TV standards" thing. That's once I've refined things a bit, got it working properly and got myself a car which will swallow a couple of tellies and some computer gear. So I won't commit to any specific date but it can be pencilled in as something for the future.

Regards, Kat.
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 2:19 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I, for one, would appreciate that, Kat.
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 2:23 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Kat, TV demos always work well and your stuff has aroused a lot of interest. Just look at the crowd at the NVCF. I would like to combine it with some other stuff to make a really good show. I wonder if Steve Ostler could be persuaded to bring his mechanical colour setup. Does anyone have a working CBS sequential setup in the UK? I know this has been demonstrated recently in the US using a special version of the Aurora converter. Or for something really exotic is there anything more than the odd fragment of a Scophony set?
Closed Thread