UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:00 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron Ether Conqueror valuation

It needn't be that expensive
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:04 pm   #22
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

The Juke box was though!!
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:11 pm   #23
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Re: Post #11 and in the interests of dating the modification, it's a Garrard RC121 mk2, 4 speed autochanger which would have been fitted during 1958/1959, but possibly not as late as 1960. It was not unusual to see the earlier generation of 78 rpm only radiograms fitted with 3 or 4 speed autchangers during the 1950s to allow the playing of the "new" microgroove records.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:13 pm   #24
Techman
Dekatron

One thing I have noticed is that there's what looks like a pile of wood dust on top of part of the amplifier and maybe some more behind it - woodworm?

I suspect from the position, that it's from that unprotected piece of modern plywood that the replacement deck has been mounted on and is not from any part of the original cabinet, so it might be worth checking this out ASAP as you don't want it spreading!
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:16 pm   #25
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Just noticed, thanks for pointing it out, will get Husband to take the back off at the weekend and check it out.

Many thanks
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:22 pm   #26
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
It needn't be that expensive
That's possibly true. I shouldn't really say something like this, but you could probably get away with powering it up carefully and it would probably work. The critical capacitors are very high quality types and it was only something like five years ago that I replaced the ones in mine. They didn't really need replacing, although they had very slight leakage under testing. Seeing as the originals were bolted to the chassis, I just left them where they were with the leads bent back out of the way and bypassed them with modern replacements. The two pin plug mentioned will be the two pin Bulgin on the rear of the cabinet and probably not the actual mains socket plug. The old rubber and cotton insulated cable connected to this plug would need looking at before connecting to the mains. These grams were not fitted with an earthed mains connector as standard.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:28 pm   #27
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Whilst Not having a clue as to what I am talking about........................ my electrician son has told me that the plug that should be plugged into the mains is an old two pinned one. We live in an old house with many original features and I am sure there is one of these located in the wall somewhere!! Under the stairs is a brass handle that was originally used to power the electricity. He has stated that wiring like this is known as widow makers and I am to leave the ****** thing alone Lols
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:32 pm   #28
Techman
Dekatron

I think your son is probably right, so you need to be careful and it would need a new mains lead with a standard thirteen amp plug with no more than a three amp fuse fitted.

Last edited by Techman; 10th Aug 2018 at 1:42 pm.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:59 pm   #29
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Some more interesting info in this free booklet to download: https://www.vintage-radio.info/download.php?id=354
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:00 pm   #30
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Oh wow thank you xx
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:02 pm   #31
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Aww, can't download. McAfee (my firewall thingy) said it's dangerous?
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:06 pm   #32
Techman
Dekatron

Just downloaded it - Windows defender says it's OK.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:18 pm   #33
Techman
Dekatron

Note Edwards 'late' post #23. The deck is a Garrard and not a Collaro as had been mentioned earlier, and I had meant to pick up on that myself, but forgot. He's about right as regards the date, as these decks were fitted to the early version of the Bush SRP31 record players. The deck may have been fitted brand new, or it could have been removed from a scrapped record player a few years later and fitted then. I have a replacement deck fitted in mine, as the 78 only originals are not a lot of use and are certainly not very kind to the records they were intended to play, although the 'mechanics' of them were wonderful.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:29 pm   #34
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Better not take the chance with the download, have a lot of my husband's work files on here (PC) and McAfee is saying there's a virus, bit oversensitive at times, will download it on my laptop later. Re the deck, may take a look around my friend's house, there's a myriad of unusual items in there and I still have full access to it for another few weeks, may even find the original deck! Back story.............. a lovely friend and neighbour whom I looked after for many years died back in January and her family are selling the house to turn it into flats In the meantime, they do not want any of the contents and have given me carte blanche to do as I wish with them, sell, keep, give to charity etc etc. Have picked up some beautiful stuff, given loads to charity and have found some beautiful old keepsakes.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:37 pm   #35
paulsherwin

McAfee is notorious for false positives. It has probably blacklisted the whole site for some reason. That website is owned and administered by Paul Stenning, the administrator of this forum, and it is definitely not malicious. It's not impossible that there is something dodgy in the PDF file but it's been downloaded hundreds of times and nobody has ever reported an AV warning or indeed any other problem.

However, it's obviously your decision.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:45 pm   #36
Techman
Dekatron

That's a very nice back story and you've got yourself a very nice radiogram.

The 'asset stripper' radiogram wreckers will be on this thread as we speak, seething and hissing through their teeth (one in particular, I suspect) and I didn't mean that he just hisses through 'one' tooth only!

To be fair, I suppose if it's your business and that's what you do and you have to cover your costs and make money, then you can't really argue with that, it's just a shame, that's all. Also, if you're very hard up for cash and you sell something like this for the maximum, then again, I suppose you can't really argue with that either. The thing with the one that went the same way on this forum earlier in the year was that the person thought that he was selling to an enthusiast and although he got a fairly decent price, if he'd known the outcome, he could have broken it himself and got a lot more money for the component parts and cut out the middle man, so to speak. But at least you're not going to do this, so good on you!
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:51 pm   #37
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys, sure the form probably is safe and hope I didn't offend anyone, however, I don't fancy having a grumpy husband if I lose any of his stuff!

Don't need the money for the Radiogram tbf, more being nosey as to what it's worth! However, if I found someone who genuinely wouldn't break it down and I could watch it's restoration, I would let it go for a fair price, after all, once restored it would still have a value. I let the Dynatron TV go for a small price as the gentleman is fully restoring it
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:59 pm   #38
Techman
Dekatron

The television is a different kettle of fish and as far as I know doesn't have any 'audiophile' components inside it, so will be restored by an enthusiast.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 3:07 pm   #39
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
One thing I have noticed is that there's what looks like a pile of wood dust on top of part of the amplifier and maybe some more behind it - woodworm?
It looks more likes shavings from where the lid prop goes through the hole in the home-made motor board to me...
Old 10th Aug 2018, 3:15 pm   #40
Techman
Dekatron

That's a very good point, fingers crossed that it's just that. There does look like some more behind the amplifier, but this could even be from when the board was fitted and the original board was 'shaved' down.
Closed Thread