UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2012, 4:03 pm   #1
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Finish for black 150 phone dial

I have a No.10 dial with a solid copper finger plate. It looks as if it was originally chemically blacked and has subsequently been painted. What was the original finish?
Nigel
Old 24th Nov 2012, 9:33 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Finish for black 150 phone dial

It was some form of electro-chemical 'flashing' - nearest you'll get is the sort of blackening that gunsmiths use - see eBay item 120605280212
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birchwood-...item1c14a287d4 for one type which can be applied cold.
I've not tried it myself but it seems to be the sort of thing required.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 9:04 pm   #3
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Re: Finish for black 150 phone dial

I have had to restore all the brass parts on a Peel-Conner version of the 150 Candlestick. Thanks to advice from the forum, I discovered Curator antiquing fluid black from Relics of Witney. 150 ml costs about £18 including postage, but makes up to 1.5 litres.

Having polished off all the old damaged finish, I followed the instructions and immersed the parts in the solution for 2 minutes or more. Then I washed off the loose blackish slime on the parts and was rewarded by a finish very like the original shiny blue-black. I protected it with a coat of clear car lacquer. The finger plate is copper and, for the moment painted black. However, when I have the phone fully working, I will apply the same treatment to the dial.

There were traces of the familiar blue-black finish on the back. Although the instructions on the bottle say you can apply the fluid neat with a swab, I found this very hit and miss and do not recommend it.

Nigel
Closed Thread