UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2011, 10:57 am   #1
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Anything in the northeast?

I was wondering if anyone can advise me what meets, sales, auctions etc happen in the northeast?

I understand that many members are down south, and this is where a lot of the activity is, unfortunately due to work commitments I can't usually travel so would like to know if there's anything local.

Dave.
Old 11th Sep 2011, 12:04 pm   #2
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Anything in the northeast?

Dave,

It would be nice to have more activity up here, workshops or meet ups.

Mike
Old 11th Sep 2011, 12:22 pm   #3
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Hi Dave, There is a swap meet at my place on 2nd of October, it is in Fife, Scotland. It is not too far from you, approx 140 miles, we usually get one or two from your part of the country. If you are interested in coming or anyone else please pm for details. Norman
Old 11th Sep 2011, 12:29 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Hi Guys I know how you feel here in the West Country Harpy is 210 miles from Exeter (M5/M4) A303 more direct but takes too long. So Leeds is closer to Harpy!
Barrie organised a local meet at Willand and it was hard work for him. It was very popular with myself and other local enthusiasts but in the end there just was not enough support to sustain it.
Our closest local meet is Wootton Bassett that,s 116 miles each way. This meeting is regularly attended from members from Penzance 227 miles each way. The BVWS has in the past been very good at supporting local meets so its worth talking to Murphymad if you want to set up your own local meet.
Good luck

Mike T
Old 11th Sep 2011, 2:13 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, the only vintage radio fair (if that's the correct term) that I know of in the North East at present is the one at Spennymoor Leisure centre, if it is still going.

Regards
Andrew
Old 11th Sep 2011, 5:32 pm   #6
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago, sadly there is very little going on in our neck of the woods, shame considering there is quiet a healthy sized NE contingent on here. A few members attend the NW BVWS meet at Golborne but its quite a trek really.

I can confirm the Spennymoor Rally (BARAC) http://barac.m0php.net/rally does still run and is on this year 4th of December, it is more amateur radio though. I have missed the last two due to severe snow-ins.

Barnard Castle has a few auctions and the flea market is ok but most radios in there have much too an optimistic price tag. I've yet too find a decent boot fair. I did find a TV in a shop the other day but again the price was silly, it was the first one I had seen since moving to the NE four years ago!!.

Chris

Last edited by oldticktock; 11th Sep 2011 at 5:39 pm.
Old 11th Sep 2011, 6:37 pm   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, the Spennymoor rally was worth the fight through the snow last year; although mainly for Ham radio there were plenty of stalls and club groups selling components at good prices.
There is also a Great Lumley Rally and possibly one at Galashields, but I'm not sure of the dates.
The Golbourne meeting is well wrth the effort, even from here in Newcastle. Perhaps we should get a car share going.

Ed
Closed Thread