UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2007, 11:45 pm   #1
pmmunro
Octode

Default Avometer Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post

While we're talking AVO's, regarding the meter movements, does it matter what position the multimeters are stored in?

Thanks
David
Dave, I've put this information here because it deviates from the survey topic.

There is nothing in any Avo literature, or any theoretical reason I know of, which suggests that any position is better than another for storage.

However, as you probably know, the movement should be balanced so that the pointer settles no more than 1% FSD from the adjusted zero position when the meter is held with the case and pointer vertical (movement axis horizontal) or case vertical and pointer horizontal. An unbalanced movement has usually been severly overloaded, causing some bending of the pointer.

The meter is also calibrated lying on its back and may be less accurate if it is used with the case vertical.

As for general conditions of storage, dry conditions and moderate temperatures are important. Some of the worst damage I've seen in Avometers has been due to damp.

The pre war (1939-45) meters have scale plates which are nickel plated all over then painted except for the curved mirror slot. Paint adhesion is thus compromised and the paint can become detached, sometimes almost in its entirety. For this reason I would suggest that anyone who has one of these old meters keeps its temperature moderate as well as seeing that it is dry.

Obviously to do otherwise is a heinous crime which should be reported to the RSPCAvometers and punished by forfiture of the abused meter and the owner being required to plough a magnetic field for enernity.

Peter M. Munro
Closed Thread