UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2016, 3:04 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default BVWS Autumn 2016 Bulletin

My BVWS Mag has just arrived, I have just read the first page, and see Carl Glover's resignation has been accepted. Carl has been the Bulletin Editor / Designer for the last 22 years and done an excellent job,.

I would l like to say a big thank you Carl, and wish Alex Hewitt good luck with his taking up the post, He has a tough act to follow.

John.
Old 20th Sep 2016, 4:21 pm   #2

Default Re: BVWS Autumn 2016 Bulletin

So has mine, bedtime reading I think, I will go to bed early so as not to disturb SHMBO.
The new printers have done a good job as far as a quick look through shows.

Old 20th Sep 2016, 6:11 pm   #3
Bobdger
Hexode

Got mine, nice article on 405 pattern generator. My copy has blank pages in the advertisement section?
Bob.
Old 20th Sep 2016, 6:17 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdger View Post
My copy has blank pages in the advertisement section?
That is correct, they are forms for apply for stalls at events so are intentionally blank on the other side. The entire centre section (on different paper) is intended to be removed if desired.

We (the committee) were all shocked and surprised when Carl resigned before the last committee meeting, and extremely grateful to Alex Hewitt for offering his services, and indeed to his father Greg (Treasurer) for discussing it with Alex and bringing his offer to the meeting. We were shown some examples of Alex's print design work which were superb, and are confident that he can maintain the high standard we have come to expect.

Carl's 22 years is an astonishing commitment. It's over half the life of the society in the role, so I don't think anyone can begrudge his desire to stand down now. I completely agree with and echo Mike's comments in the Bulletin.

The new printers have done a superb job in my opinion. If anything it is possibly slightly better than the previous ones with the colour photos.

PS: I have corrected the title of this thread to "Autumn".

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th Sep 2016, 6:53 pm   #5

I would like to know how many Bulletins are circulated. Must be quite a few to warrant such good quality.

Old 20th Sep 2016, 8:39 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I think 1500 are printed but I'm not sure.

Paul Stenning
Old 20th Sep 2016, 9:52 pm   #7
Andrewausfa
Octode

My thanks to Carl too, it must take considerable time to put together. Best of luck to Mr. Hewitt junior as he takes over the design helm. The print quality of this quarters edition is very good.

Andrew
Old 20th Sep 2016, 10:14 pm   #8
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Got mine today and about to start some bedtime reading!
Also a doff of my cap to Carl as he has done a fantastic job for such a lengthy time. Well done sir!

Cheers
Old 20th Sep 2016, 10:22 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The contents index of this Bulletin is now on the BVWS website here http://www.bvws.org.uk/publications/...olume41number3

Paul Stenning
Old 20th Sep 2016, 11:09 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Since 2010 I've written several articles for the Bulletin including the current edition, and I can honestly say that Carl has always been very encouraging and supportive, as other contributors will testify. Carl has been masterly in setting out the text around pictures, so that articles are attractively presented. The end result is far superior to the initial submission, and the Bulletin sets a standard that few other special interest magazines can come close to - the print quality of the Autumn Bulletin is first class.

Grateful thanks to Carl for his many years of service to the Society, and every good wish to Alex Hewitt in taking over the role of Editor at such short notice.
Old 21st Sep 2016, 8:19 am   #11
raditechman
Heptode

Read the latest bulletin Tuesday afternoon. Many interesting articles, Bush TV22 and the 405 line pattern generator I found very interesting.
The new printers seem to have produced a fine copy.
Thanks.
John
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 12:27 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

A bit bugged as mine has not arrived despite notifying my new address 2 or 3 weeks ago.Not sure how much notice is needed.

Possibly if my mag has gone to my old address in Scotland then I have a Royal Mail divert set up to what was my temporary address in Misterton.

Fingers crossed!
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 1:19 pm   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The mailing is done by the printers, so there will be a specific date when the full name and address list is extracted from the database and sent to them for label printing. If your change was notified after that date then the bulletin will have gone to the old address. I'm not sure how far before the postage date the data is sent, but your mention of 2-3 weeks makes this seem fairly likely.

If you have a Royal Mail redirect then it should reach you in due course, though it can take several days (speaking from experience, the redirect service is not quick).

Check with the membership secretary (Martyn). If necessary he can send you another one to your new address.

Paul Stenning
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 1:30 pm   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you Paul.My fault if I did not send change of address quick enough.Touch wood redirect has normally been ok.
Old 22nd Sep 2016, 4:54 pm   #15
murphymad
Heptode

Hamishboxer,

Please PM me your name and new address and I will make sure it is changed on the database now.

Mike...