UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2007, 10:41 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Renovating Philips G8 cabinet finish

Hi Everybody

Could anyone tell me the best method to use to remove the old finish off a Philips G8 TV from 1975?
It's a veneer on chipboard and has been stained then varnished, I think. Some of the varnish at the bottom of the cabinet has gone cloudy and it generally looks tatty.

I welcome any ideas, as I am not familiar with wood stripping or finishing techniques.

Many thanks

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_1202G8Philips0009.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	7720   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_1202G8Philips0010.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	7721  
Old 15th Jan 2007, 10:55 pm   #2
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Philips G8 cabinet finish

I used an orbital sander when I refurbished a G8 cabinet. The silver painted trim on the CRT surround was very patchy on mine, so I removed it all with a Stanley knife blade. It looks much better.
Malc.
Old 16th Jan 2007, 3:55 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Its worth remembering that veneer is extremely thin, so when sanding there is the ever-present danger of cutting through on corners or edges. I prefer to strip with chemical stripper (Nitromors).
-Tony
Old 16th Jan 2007, 6:37 pm   #4
paul dawson
Diode

Hello Mike.
As with Tony I have found it is best to use a decent chemical stripper followed by fine grade wire wool and methylated spirit to remove any stubborn leftovers. I then use more spirit to give the case a good clean before any coating is applied.
As for the coating, do not use varnish! It is horrible nasty stuff that will leave you with a very poor finish.
The original finish will probably have been a toned lacquer and you may cheaply replicate this, by first staining the veneer (if required) and then spraying with a clear lacquer obtainable from DIY shops, etc.

Remember though, once stained there is no going back!

I personaly use a wood oil (such as antique oil) which leaves you with a fantastic smooth finish when applied correctly with a lint free cloth. It is also easily reversibly, if you do not like the end result.
I hope this may be of assistance to you.

Paul Dawson.

Last edited by paul dawson; 16th Jan 2007 at 6:55 pm.
Closed Thread