UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2020, 1:56 pm   #1
RobustReviews
Pentode

Default Long Shot - Panasonic AG Series Remotes

Hello,

Bit of a long-shot here, does anybody have any experience with the wired editing remotes for Panasonic AG series of editing/commerical S-VHS players?

The machine has a remote port on the back (not unlike a SCART socket) so I'd wager this is going to be some very simple protocol which I could hack to make some software to control the machine from my capture machine rather than walking over to it constantly Even an Arduino by USB with the pins broken out and a bit of fettling should get it going.

Any suggestions or advice? Anybody ever tried anything like this?
I know it's a long-shot.

Cheers,
Andy (RR)
Old 26th Sep 2020, 3:00 pm   #2
RobustReviews
Pentode

Default Re: Long Shot - Panasonic AG Series Remotes

Ah, should have done my research, it's all quite simple, page 20 of the service manual elucidates.

Very basic, each pin has a unique function, just ground the appropriate pin and 'presto!

That's this afternoon taken up now!

If I get it going with an Arduino I'll post up code and application exe.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 27th Sep 2020, 1:07 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Long Shot - Panasonic AG Series Remotes

The Hitachi VT8000 series did it with two wires via a 3.5mm jack, all that was in the keypad was a resistive ladder circuit.

We supplied some machines to Granada studios to automatically record the commercial breaks as transmitted.

When we offered the VT9000 series (Granada VHSYH2) it was time to upgrade the machines. the jack was still there on the chassis, but you had to drill a hole in the cabinet to access it. The wired keypad of the older model worked with no problem, but in the Granada setup they stubbornly ignored the command to record.

Much head-scratching ensued.

It transpired that the guys at the studios had implemented a simple system where the resistance corresponding to the "stop" command was consistently applied, and was changed to the one corresponding to the "record" command when needed.

The new machine expected to see a break of open circuit between commands.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 27th Sep 2020 at 1:12 pm.
Closed Thread