UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2006, 9:29 pm   #1
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Default 18 pin american connectors

Hello all
I have an 18 pin american military plug that I want to open to rewire. It has a locking fold down key on front for screwing into the socket. I have removed the two screw rings, one at each end but still cannot gain entry. Anyone had any experiance with this type of plug.
Mike.
Old 30th Oct 2006, 5:17 pm   #2
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 18 pin american connectors

Do you have a picture?
Old 30th Oct 2006, 10:24 pm   #3
paul.brett
Tetrode

Hello Stephanie,

Thanks for the reply. Hope the enclosed pictures help. As you can see, I have taken off the two rings, but nothing seems to move.

http://paulbrett.plus.com/tmp/DSCF2507.jpg
http://paulbrett.plus.com/tmp/DSCF2508.jpg
http://paulbrett.plus.com/tmp/DSCF2509.jpg

Regards, Mike.
(sent via my son's account - Paul)
Old 30th Oct 2006, 11:20 pm   #4
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Mike,

I have no experience of this connector but is it not possible that the rigidity of the existing wires is preventing you from getting the connector out of the housing. If you unscrew the cable clamp then it might help.

Peter.
Old 31st Oct 2006, 5:42 am   #5
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

The cable clamp would be that nut around the wire.

I'm with Peter. Try loosening that animal....and then jiggling things around. The wire should push it out

That sure is one serious looking mother.
Old 31st Oct 2006, 9:19 am   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi Mike,

Hopefully you will not find this problem, but on a number of US military connectors they back fill the connector with potting compound - thus making the connector non reusable.......

Fingers crossed.....

Cheers
Sean
Old 31st Oct 2006, 3:10 pm   #7
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Re: 18 pin american connectors

Hello all
Thanks for all the help. I have already tried taking of that nut but still rock solid so I think the potting compound idea may be a reality.
Old 31st Oct 2006, 6:12 pm   #8
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

If it's potting compound, I wonder if heating it gently inside an old toaster oven could soften that tar up?

I guess the potting is so that moisture and dirt don't find their way in there and foul up the terminal connections to the wires?

Does that key thing on the back loosen up? See if there's some sort of little screw or nut in the middle hole that holds that thing in place.
Old 1st Nov 2006, 9:28 am   #9
DaveG0MXD
Retired Dormant Member

Paul,

Looking at your photo's it's a bit unclear: is there an internal thread inside the connector cover (look a photograph 2 - head on into the pins, the castellated bit between the connector body and backshell looks like a locking ring?).

If you can feel an internal thread, then there are two options: make a C shaped tool that will fit into two opposing slots, like it was probably assembled with, or gently knock a screwdriver / flat piece of metal into one slot (the ring will probably come out anti-clockwise as viewed from the pins).
Reason I think it's a locking ring is that it seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to cutting fancy shapes in a piece of metal otherwise??

Sorry I can't suggest anything else, but I'm more used to UK military hardware (all threads, backnuts and roll-pins!!).

Dave W
Old 5th Nov 2006, 11:02 am   #10
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all
Have found how to open connector so if anyone else has the same problem this is how you do it. Grasp body of plug in a vice with pins facing upermost and with a small piece of wooden dowling placed on the central locking pin give a tap with a mallet. This will release the whole back of the socket as it is only held in by an O-ring. There was no potting compound in my plug. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Regards Mike.
Closed Thread