UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2011, 2:08 pm   #1
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Brian Pethers' Colour System Decoder

Hi all
Some time ago, I lent my Pethers' decoder to someone on this forum for research purposes. It was on the understanding that it was sent, when finished with, to Bradford. I was at Bradford yesterday and inquired as to whether they had received the unit yet - the answer was "don't think so"!). Unfortunately, I can't remember to whom I lent it and the PMs associated with it's collection etc. have long since been erased. So I wonder whether anything has happened with it and when it will go to Bradford - and of course, who's got it at the moment.
Old 24th Oct 2011, 8:58 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Brian Pethers' Colour System Decoder

Brian

You've a PM.
Old 24th Oct 2011, 12:30 pm   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

Hi Brian, it was me!

I can take it along to Bradford now if you like but haven't got very far with tracing the circuit yet...I was saving it as a winter project when the nights draw in.

I've been slowly trying to work out the circuit (which is quite tricky on the densely populated bread-board). And trying to figure out the likely intended signal for it, then my plan was to try and make a matching encoder...to test it against, though I'd be intending to conduct a good number of tests before applying power!

Like I say if you'd like it delivered to the museum sooner then I can take it whenever you wish.

Dom
Old 26th Oct 2011, 7:26 pm   #4
brianc
Rest in Peace

Take as long as you like Dom. I had forgotten who had borrowed it and I didn't want it to be "shelved". I now know where it is and am quite satisfied that it will get to Bradford - eventually !

The Pethers system was re-invented as NIR so if you can synthesize that, you may be able to get it going. The input will be 1V @ 75ohm, of course.

Last edited by brianc; 26th Oct 2011 at 7:37 pm. Reason: adding a bit
Old 27th Oct 2011, 11:36 am   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

Hi Brian,

I'm looking forward to this but for me it is quite a big challenge - I really want to understand the decoder before I do anything with it. Like I said is quite a challenge as the board is quite denely populated and there's a good number of wound components on there that will take a bit of figuring out...at the moment most of my workspace is taken up with my 405 line NTSC project and a broken Pye VT4!

Cheers

Dom
Old 27th Oct 2011, 1:36 pm   #6
John Caswell
Hexode

Hi all,
Is Brian Pethers still around and if so does anyone have any contact details for him? I lost touch with him some years ago.
PM accordingly please

John Caswell

Apologies, just seen in some other threads that Brian sadly passed away. Another of the extremely clever Cox development team in the 70-80s of which pppenguin was also one. Jeffery also mentioned Mike Christian who also sadly is no longer with us.

John Caswell (ex Cox Chief of Test 73-81)

Last edited by John Caswell; 27th Oct 2011 at 1:47 pm. Reason: Additional comments
Old 30th Oct 2011, 6:04 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Fortunately Mike Cox is still alive and well. Still the incurable experimenter too.
Old 31st Oct 2011, 9:19 am   #8
John Caswell
Hexode

Was he ever anything else? One of the great places to work.

John Caswell
Old 31st Oct 2011, 9:51 am   #9
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Fortunately Mike Cox is still alive and well. Still the incurable experimenter too.
How true Jeffrey. He has recently developed his own 3D TV system and modified a quad video head to improve sig-noise ratio for archive purposes! You can't keep a good man down.
I remember seeing block diagrams of an Arab TV station, all labelled in arabic, except for a small rectangular block labelled "Cox Box" (a trade name for a bit of kit Michael Cox Electronics manufactured) in english.
Closed Thread