UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2022, 8:48 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Yet more BBC Archive goodies

Sorry to keep banging on about this channel, but they do keep uploading excellent archive clips which will be of interest to the likes of us.

First a lovely piece from a 1972 edition of Nationwide with Michael Barratt chatting to John Snagge about early types of BBC microphone (can you imagine anything like this being broadcast today?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtmU_3PIx3M&t=69s

Also a 1958 extract from Panorama with Richard Dimbleby introducing the experimental VERA video tape recorder. This has been shown many times before, but I have never seen this much longer version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56V3QPpyOO8

Good stuff!

Steve
Old 11th Oct 2022, 8:20 am   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: Yet more BBC Archive goodies

Morning Steve.
Thanks For posting.
Kevin.
Old 11th Oct 2022, 8:27 am   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

All good stuff. My tv has 'learned' to suggest this channel's new content now.
Also liked the Malcolm Muggeridge interview with John Reith especially when he gave Malcolm a sweet so he could talk uninterrupted.
Old 11th Oct 2022, 6:44 pm   #4
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I remember very many years ago, when I was planning a lecture to The MoD about video recording, I visited the BBC Archives department.

They let me take photographs of their archive pictures of Vera...
The camera I used, was a Zenith, all very technical!
I then made monochrome slides of all the various video machines available at the time, & gave the detailed characteristics of each format.
All presented using a a Kodak Carousel projector of course!

How times have changed.

David.
Old 12th Oct 2022, 9:25 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I wonder if you can still obtain a belt kit for VERA?

My sister was employed by the BBC for around 15 years, Broadcasting House, The Aeolian Hall and the new Television Center. Around 1961 she obtained some tickets to for the Black and White Minstrel Show to be recorded at the BBC theatre at Shepherds Bush.

At the end of the show we were asked to keep our seats while the video tape was replayed and checked for electronic faults. Any faults would have required a repeat performance of that section of the show. I was 13 at the time and was amazed by the fantastic colours of the show. About 10 days later it was broadcast and I remember watching it in dull black and white on our Ferguson 17" 236T. John.
Old 13th Oct 2022, 5:06 pm   #6
electronicskip
Nonode

I did notice today in the news that 90 lost episodes of Desert Island discs had been found.
Hope they manage to find it to the BBC Archives.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63215698
Old 14th Oct 2022, 8:20 am   #7
raditechman
Heptode

Old enough to remember watching the Panorama VERA progranmme with Richard Dimbleby, I was 13 and already interested in radio TV.
Good to se it again.

John
Old 15th Oct 2022, 10:36 am   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Last weeks Radio Times [8-14th October] Feedback page [144] had another push for lost items "The Search For Hidden Gems Starts Here!" It seems to be organised by RT itself along with a group called The Radio Circle with Keith Wickham. There is also an article featuring Richard Harrison "prominent in the RC". page 106. "Hunting for Comedy Gold". He identified the believed long lost episode of Hancock's Half Hour in which actor/comedian Kenneth Williams was unavailable and replaced by Peter Sellers. The Holy Grail for Hancock enthusiasts! It will be Broadcast on Radio 4 this Tuesday 18/10/22 at 6-30pm.

"Raiders of the Lost Archive" a Documentary presented by Keith was aired on Thursday last [13/10/22]. It will be available on BBC "Sounds" who are now behind the whole movement towards fully recognising the value of the Beeb archives but wasn't there talk of shutting down 4 Extra recently

No doubt the RC group of dedicated enthusiasts will be very aware of the amazing BBC failure to preserve any of the 1969 Moon Landing recordings, an invaluable Bob Dylan Concert that was wiped, Goon Show recordings used as packing material when Studios were re-built and Journey Into Space acetates that were finally found at the back of a cupboard in Bush House.

Dr Steve Arnold, who runs the RC, mentions the tranche of DID editions located by Richard [as at post 6*] He also points out that many "missing" programs went out live and actually weren't recorded in the first place On the other hand, those that had been taped [often undervalued "pop" items] were sometimes rescued from oblivion by staff smuggling them out, often against current management directives. Despite our contemporary "throw away" culture things are still being discovered even now. It's all good to "hear!"

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 15th Oct 2022 at 10:54 am.
Old 17th Oct 2022, 12:29 pm   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

The "Raiders" documentary repeated today on R4 at 1600 for those with steam wireless.
Old 17th Oct 2022, 4:38 pm   #10
Stuart R
Heptode

Thanks for the heads-up. The 1930's Defiant MSH910 got powered-up for that, the Hancock theme sounded just right.

One contributor was a Ted Kendall - someone we know here?

SR
Old 17th Oct 2022, 4:52 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Listened to it, it was intriguing but the focus on stuff like Hancock (I just never got to understand the humour in his miserable monologs), desert-island-discs and such was a bit repetitive. Guess it might have been appropriate for the age demographic of the typical Radio4 listener, I would have been more interested in hearing recovered 1960s pick-of-the-pops or Top-20 shows.
Old 19th Oct 2022, 8:28 am   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

here's the latest one, 'how television works' (1961), a schools programme.

Somewhat stilted presentation and looks like a battered telerecording. I did not learn alot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrFqzSt4iKg
Old 19th Oct 2022, 9:34 am   #13
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post
One contributor was a Ted Kendall - someone we know here?
Indeed - it's been the day job for thirty years.
Closed Thread