UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2022, 9:16 pm   #1
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Default What did Pye use to coat/seal transformers etc?

In old PMR gear like the Vanguard, Cambridge and Westminster, used in particular on audio transformers and LF chokes etc.
It looks like an orange colour, like a "tropicilisation" treatment.
It has certainly lasted VERY well.

Last edited by Cruisin Marine; 8th Mar 2022 at 9:38 pm.
Old 8th Mar 2022, 10:00 pm   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: What did Pye use to coat/seal transformers etc.

Always reminded me of toffee apple coating!
Fixed station equipment had the same coating. Even up to the 400& 4000 series base stations of the 1980s.
All I can say is that the transformers in their pmr gear were extremely reliable.
The only one I had to replace several times in my 20 or so years was the mod transformer (part # AL21219) on the W15AM Westminster. Fault being extremely low mod caused by shorted turns.
Rob
Old 9th Mar 2022, 12:05 am   #3
Sparky67
Heptode

That smell when you lifted the top cover off a warm Vanguard as well...!

If I get a whiff of it now it takes me straight back to servicing P-band AM25HO and high-band FM25B Vanguards on the bench in the 1970s.

Martin
G4NCE
Old 9th Mar 2022, 12:39 am   #4
Cruisin Marine
Octode

That smell when you lifted the top cover off a warm Vanguard as well...!

If I get a whiff of it now it takes me straight back to servicing P-band AM25HO and high-band FM25B Vanguards on the bench in the 1970s.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! It is amazing, smell is probably the strongest of all senses that evoke memories.
Old comic's is a smell takes me right back to the sixties.
Old 9th Mar 2022, 1:53 am   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

Does this stuff look anything like it?
It has been used to seal the calibration parts on an elapsed timer from the period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	253282  
Old 9th Mar 2022, 2:34 am   #6
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Does this stuff look anything like it?
It has been used to seal the calibration parts on an elapsed timer from the period.

It does look VERY much like that.
Old 9th Mar 2022, 8:07 am   #7
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Istr at Haig Rd factory, Cambridge back around 1968 the transformers were baked in a large oven to complete the process?
Rob
Old 9th Mar 2022, 11:13 pm   #8
joebog1
Banned

I know the "stuff" you are talking about, but never knew what it was. The better shortwave radios produced in Au used this technique for the various coils in the radio. It melts at a very low temperature though, so it's "not really" a varnish, at least as I know it.

It would be nice to know what it is, and how it's made. To me it looks like some sort of "hardener" is added to beeswax. ( I keep bees and have used beeswax as n insulation.) I think beeswax is too "organic" for long term service, although it does last thousands of years in dry cool temperatures.

Joe
Old 10th Mar 2022, 10:01 am   #9
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I don't recall the Pye stuff melting easily.

Each transformer had a sheet for winding which gave all the core & wire part numbers along with how to many turns to which pins. It would also have the information about the varnish.

There were thousands of such hand drawn sheets which were eventually all transferred to microfilm. There was a fiche of cards where you could find your part number and obtain a print of it from a machine to the side. The whole Pye world was in there.

Some manager probably ordered it to be dumped. How I would love to have access to it now. Today they would call it their IPR.
Old 10th Mar 2022, 11:40 am   #10
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: What did Pye use to coat/seal transformers etc?

The stuff in post #5 looks like shellac varnish.

Andy
Old 10th Mar 2022, 8:13 pm   #11
beamcurrent
Heptode

Quote:
There were thousands of such hand drawn sheets which were eventually all transferred to microfilm. There was a fiche of cards where you could find your part number and obtain a print of it from a machine to the side. The whole Pye world was in there.
I too would love such a list! I would be happy with just a list of what "ALxxxxx" transformers did and their windings.

I do have a lot of Pye television equipment in the tvcameramuseum collection, In a world of infinite time I could list the transformers in them, but there is no time....

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 10th Mar 2022, 10:32 pm   #12
joebog1
Banned

Is there ANY coil winding data left online?. I have seached for our Australian AEGIS coils and can find nothing. They made almost every coil you could imagine. I still have some of their Pi wound RF chokes which are a thing of great beauty. I would still play with radio if I could get the coils, OR the data to wind them. I still have a large collection of IFT's made by Aegis all 455 Khz, which was Australias most common IF frequency for normal sets.

Joe
Closed Thread