UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2011, 9:53 pm   #1
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Default Psion 3A how to load program from Vista

I have a Psion 3a and would like to use it more often. One program on my lap top, running Vista would fit the bill but how do I get it into the Psion ? I took a look at psiwin some time ago and gave up. All thoughts welcome.Cliff.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 10:10 am   #2
woodchips
Octode

Default Re: Psion 3A how to load program from Vista

I have only, and still, use psiwin from Windows 3.1 where it works well. Perhaps need to copy the program to a floppy then onto an old machine to transfer? Bob
Old 14th Jun 2011, 2:30 pm   #3
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

You'd be lucky if you can get an old program like that to work under Vista, I have a couple of W3.1 originated programs and they're very unstable on Windows7, also I believe that a Psion would require a Serial port connection, and since Windows2000, using legacy devices on Serial ports is pretty difficult, I think you need to use a program called "Port95NT", which I think makes a bridge between 3.1/9x programs and NT4-Win7's communications standard, but I haven't used that before, so I can't be 100% sure...

Best bet is to use a Virtual PC (plenty programs to choose from I used to use Connectix VirtualPC (later bought out by microsoft), which can connect to the serial ports without having to go through the host OS), it's just getting used to Windows 3,1 again that's the fun part, though you could probably use 3.1 to 98SE (wouldn't bother with ME), or go to a carboot sale and find yourself an old laptop or desktop computer and use that...
Old 14th Jun 2011, 2:44 pm   #4
bluepilot
Heptode

Have you tried installing an old version of Windows in Virtualbox?

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 14th Jun 2011, 3:51 pm   #5
eldritch
Retired Dormant Member

if it's of any help i'm pretty sure i have a complete set of 3.5" disks for windows 3.11 for workgroups, and i may even have a set for 3.1.

(wanders off to check)

ok, had a look, and i have 2 sets of windows 3.11 for workgroups, 1 of win3.1, 1of ms-dos 6.2, and 2 of ms-dos 6.22.

if any are of help, they are yours for p&p.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 10:31 pm   #6
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Many thanks for replys.Thanks for the offers eldritch, and Stuart with Bob and 2CV' the ideas look good and 2CV' has reminded me that a friend still has a W98 running, so I hope to transfer to floppy and then get W98 and Psion to talk to each other. If all fails then older type lap-top may be the answer. Thanks again. Cliff.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 1:35 pm   #7
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

I have Win3.1 running in Dosbox in XP. takes 2s to boot!

Dosbox is free and lets DOS games and maybe up to win95 run on Windows, Linux, Symbian etc on x86, ARM, MIPS etc. It's a full virtual DOS
Old 16th Jun 2011, 10:32 pm   #8
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

PM to neon indicator.
Closed Thread