UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2018, 10:45 am   #1
Breakinger
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage Russian (Soviet) Oscilloscope SI-1

Hi,

I've recently acquired a Soviet oscilloscope built in the 1950s. I would like to make some cables for it, but it uses connection socket style I don't know the name of.

Does anyone know the name of the connector pictured? It looks like a banana plug, but with
additional shielding. Please see a picture attached. If I knew the name I could probably find some to buy.

Additionally the oscilloscope has a dial I have no idea what is for. It is the one directly below the crt and the text beneath translates as "Amplitude Efficiency". The scale is labelled with "Imp" (I'm guessing this might be impedance) from 0 to 3.5 and "EFF" from 0 to 1.2. Moving the dial appears to change nothing

Does anyone know what that setting might be? I imagine other oscilloscopes from the era to have similar settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_102102_stripped-571x428.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	173143   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_102133_stripped-571x428.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	173144  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 11:47 am   #2
karesz*
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage Russian (Soviet) Oscilloscope SI-1

Hi Breakinger,
I have an SI-1 (or in other nomenclature=C1-5) too, but for me is another thing a biger problem; I dont find a mains cable or minimum the plug for the scopes rear...Do you have such or a source for that?
HTML Code:
It looks like a banana plug...
No, it seems not so, but its exactly a bananen plug with some screening!
The "Imp" isn`t equal to Impedance, more means Impluse and titled below it as "Amplitude Calibration" (I think you do add a DC, or marking-line, to the input signals amplitude and so measure hese hight, than these is a "Special Pulse Scope" (what it ever means?_ I belive, it hasn`t DC to xMHz spec, but from such low frequency as IE 10Hz-10MHz)_as I did translated for me some time ago...
BTW; It`s a nice (Military) product from "Fabrik 555" in Vilnius and was hes first "Portable Oscilloscope"_(all things are relative, than weights 10kg, measures cca 40x20x33cm )..
Otherwise its not so a very old type, its build only in style of 50`s, but produced first cca 10 years later!-My examplar has IE all capacitors from summer `70 (elcos & films too)!, Full original ad has the military "steel/Panzer" valves too_maybe was developed for Locator maintaining?_.
Good luck with them!
Rgds, Karl

Last edited by karesz*; 20th Nov 2018 at 11:53 am.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 12:11 pm   #3
Breakinger
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the answer Karl.

Could you perhaps write an example how one would use this "Special Pulse" feature?

My scope came with the power cable already. Unfortunately I haven't got a source for another one. I attach a photo of my power cable. Maybe that helps.

Also, as you say my scope came with a set of all metal vacuum tubes. I didn't know they were the military type. Good to know. The main enclosure is basically a metal case enclosed from all sides. One takes the front off to reveal the scope panel. I can definitely see how this could be "portable".

In addition with the scope the seller gave me an old scope probe, a full set of replacement tubes (including the crt) and some old tubes that came out from the scope when new ones were installed. It was a great find
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_115958-514x685.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	173151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_120006-514x685.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	173152  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 12:19 pm   #4
Breakinger
Retired Dormant Member

BTW, Karl, do you have a manual for this scope? I have a schematic, but I could n't find a manual.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 1:08 pm   #5
karesz*
Heptode

Best thanks for the photos, I know how it "should be", but can not become an examplare and I wish to restaurate not not to use it-for bench my have some other-better ones. I contacted with time an Ukrainean guy and he wrote me, that they are unknowed(?) in hes country, aren`t to buy...
Others what I didn`t become is a Metallic case and the Metal front cup_which holds your sondes and mains cable etc.
I belive; you can be lucky with your lot of spares, the seller was really generous.
A year ago I searched much for descriptions-manuals etc, and find some russian sides for it, but my russ. knowlidge isn`t enough for understand it_these is reason too why I can not write an application for that-and I didn`t switched it on during the year_but it must be functionell as my seller said me. Some months ago I loaded "my" SM to ET up, you have to wait some time for "Download it" on the side, maybe you can better understand it as I or pm me for a file...
Old 27th Nov 2018, 3:59 pm   #6
Riccampbell
Tetrode

Hello, I have a C1-05 soviet scope, and with it came a manual. I wouldn't want to part with it but would be happy to photocopy any pages that might be useful to you. It is very comprehensive and the translation is a bit suspect in places. The scope does work, but some of the controls are, to me, a bit baffling. Ric.
Old 28th Nov 2018, 11:28 am   #7
hysteresis
Tetrode

A download link to a quite good quality scan of the C1-5 manual was provided by karesz* in post #5.
Closed Thread