UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 10th Nov 2018, 3:58 pm   #1
David Simpson
Octode

Default AVO TT169 Transistor Tester

Folks, just a post for info. I've read all the "Search" posts. Seemingly a half-decent in-circuit tester. This one however is un-used, completely un-blemished, & the blue plastic wallet is immaculate, and still works. Only cost a quid at an ARS junk sale! A diddy wee addition to my collection of five other types of testers/analysers(CT446 Mk2 to an Atlas DCA55).

Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2018, 8:17 am   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Hexode

Default Re: AVO TT169 Transistor Tester

Morning David.
Top man a Avo Transistor tester for 1.00 bargain of the year. I will phone you later.

Kevin
Kevin Hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2018, 8:50 am   #3
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Hi I have one of these testers and paid 11.50 for it so yours is a bargain ( great for in cct testing )

Dave L
Old 11th Nov 2018, 12:19 pm   #4
David Simpson
Octode

Thanks for the replies, Kevin & Dave. Yep, a quid for an un-used NOS little tranny tester is a great bargain. My VMARS chum GM8AGM, Martin, got it for me a last week's Aberdeen ARS monthly junk sale. About three years ago, from the same place, he got me a Hartley CT436 Scope, fully working, for a fiver!
Another Tr Tester in my collection is a Kamoden HM-350, (there is a post about it ), which I snaffled myself at the same sale about 2 years ago, for just a few pound coins, but that needed some TLC.
Folk might query why someone needs 5 tr. testers, magpie compulsion maybe ? No - I attempt to use them all several times a year. Especially now that I've acquired an 21st century Atlas DCA 55. Its amazing to see old 50's/60's etc. testers hold their own against micro-electronics latest. And also see how my wee collection of "Crystal Triodes"(very first transistors) compare to more modern junction & FET's etc. Also, back in the 60's, I used to service & repair RAF CT446's. (And CT436's).

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO TT169.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	172615  
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2018, 7:11 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Nonode

You did get a bargain. I think I paid a tenner for mine about 20 years ago. It is a pretty good in-circuit tester (rather better than most). I hope you got the 2 leads (one for small signal transistors with a strange double spike probe on the end, the other for power transistors with a pair of croc-clips) and the (green) probe to connect to the base of the transistor under test.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2018, 12:57 am   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I've got one of these too, bought at a radio club junk sale for a couple of pounds, and in working order. Since acquiring it I've never needed to use it in anger!

Optimist [n]: Someone who is not aware of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote