UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2018, 12:38 pm   #1
allybags
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips KT40 Width Control. (Actually a K40).

Any advice on how to reduce the picture width on a Philips KT40 TV much appreciated. On older TV's there used to be a Width Control Pot. but not that I can find on this model. I have a circuit diagram but need some clues as to which panel and part of the circuit I should be looking at.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 2:13 pm   #2
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Philips KT40 Width Control

Hi

I am not aware of a KT40 chassis. There used to be the series known as System 4:

KT4 chassis 14, 16 and 20" AX CRTs with 90 degree deflection

K40 chassis 22 and 26" 30AX CRTs with 110 degree deflection.

If you can confirm which chassis you have, I'll then give further info.

Regards
Symon.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 9:35 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Usually, 90 degrees chassis don't have a width pot since that is connected to the EW correction which they don't have. I think this goes for the KT4 as well (I don't have a schematic handy right now).

In case of excessive width, there's probably some loose solder joints or a defective capacitor in the line output stage. Even though a KT4 won't set fire to the chassis frame or backpanel immediately, it is advised to go over all soldering in the line output stage and power supply. There will be loose joints for sure.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 8:49 am   #4
allybags
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Symon,
My TV is the K40 chassis 26" 30AX CRTs with 110 degree deflection.
Old 29th Mar 2018, 8:53 am   #5
allybags
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Maarten,
As the TV is of modular construction can you advise the module type number of the line output to be looking at for loose joints? Many thanks Alan
Old 29th Mar 2018, 4:20 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Philips KT40 Width Control. (Actually a K40).

Hi allybags.

On the K40 chassis, the width control pot is R3174 located on the Large Signals Panel. It's the 'L' shaped board with the diode split LOPTx fitted.
I would first make sure the PSU HT voltage is correct, this being set with R3138 for 140V at connector N2 (Point 1).
It's possible there's a problem in the EW circuit around T7170, T7171 etc. I would check the condition of the various capacitors in the line output stage such as C2165 (330n), C2163 (9n1), C2164 (22n) and C2161 (1n). Check also diodes D6162 (BY228) and D6163 (BYW95B). As Maarten points out, these sets suffered a fair number of dry solder joints and are are worth going over. I used to suck off the old solder with a desolder pump and then resolder the joint for reliable results.

One thing to be aware of with the System 4 series. There were 4 different power supply boards, 2 each for the KT4 and K40. Some were mains isolated and some weren't. So if a replacement PSU board is to be fitted then it must be the correct type. Therefore some of these sets have a Live chassis so keep this in mind when servicing.

Regards
Symon.
Old 30th Mar 2018, 9:43 am   #7
allybags
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks Symon for your very thorough analysis and I will try to implement what you suggest after Easter.
Happy Easter to you all, Alan
Old 30th Mar 2018, 2:09 pm   #8
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Alan.

The dry joint problem also applies to the power supply board so it's worth checking that too.
Happy Easter to you as well and to all Forum members.

Regards
Symon.
Closed Thread