UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2020, 3:52 pm   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Much Magic Smoke - But Amp still playing - NAD 3030

While listening to music this afternoon I heard a little crackling sound behind me (I love crackling, but not this kind).

A plume of smoke was curling from the NAD amp - music still merrily playing. I isolated the supply pronto.

I've ripped the cover off and was about to post photos of the fire damage - but there isn't any visible.

I've check the board, expecting a fried capacitor or resistor.... nothing.

The transformer seems to smell the worst, but I'm not sure it is the source of the smoke.... not a lot to go on ladies and gents.

SEAN
Old 12th Aug 2020, 4:15 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Much Magic Smoke - But Amp still playing - NAD 3030

The most common cause of this sort of thing - hopefully - is the snubber capacitor across the mains with the most common offender being the RIFA semi-transparent ones. However I don't think your NAD uses them, though I may be wrong. If it does, then there are many threads on the forum talking about them - with good reason!
I'm afraid the only way to determine what's going on is to power up with one hand on the switch. Leave the speakers disconnected for this just in case.
Did you notice any degradation in the music? Inspect the various resistors in the output stage feed - these can cook, but usually don't emit all that much smoke and the affected channel dies.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 4:21 pm   #3
Humber888
Heptode

As Glyn states, always suspect any Rifa or Wima capacitor across the mains or a Schaffner mains filter, especially if the amp was still playing. Hopefully it's not the transformer.

Mike
Old 12th Aug 2020, 4:43 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looking at the schematic it shows 2 capacitors, one each across the switched live and neutral connections at the On/Off switch. Assume these are some sort of spark suppressor, they are identified as 4700P, which I assume is 4,700pF which seems quite a low value in this application.

Cannot see them listed in the parts list.

If one or both have burnt up and gone open circuit then the amp will still work as normal.

David
Old 12th Aug 2020, 4:44 pm   #5
Stockden
Heptode

This is the mains input circuitry as shown in my copy the service manual. If it's correct (and if I've understood it correctly) there should be no voltage across the capacitor when the amplifier is switched on.

Edit - Crossed with David. It seems there may be different versions of the circuit.

Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3020e.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	213334  

Last edited by Stockden; 12th Aug 2020 at 4:48 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old 12th Aug 2020, 4:57 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes agreed no voltage across the capacitors once switched fully on, so theoretically should not go up in smoke while running, the 3020 circuit is slightly different.

Looking elsewhere 4,700pF disc ceramics are sometimes used as suppressors.

David
Old 12th Aug 2020, 5:21 pm   #7
Goldie99
Heptode

They're 4700pF, 400VAC ceramics in mine (NAD 3030), one across the on/off switch 'live', one across the switch 'neutral', and they're close to an inch across - so, although I doubt it, it should be pretty easy to see if they're burnt.

Alan
Old 12th Aug 2020, 5:23 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Happened to mine years ago. Everything carried on working, I couldn't see any signs of distress, so I just ignored it. That amp is in line for a major overhaul so I'll investigate it further then.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 5:44 pm   #9
SeanStevens
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
The most common cause of this sort of thing - hopefully - is the snubber capacitor across the mains with the most common offender being the RIFA semi-transparent ones.
Dear Welsh Anorak, you win!

I have attached a photo the component which is EXACTLY what you said it was and even semi-transparent. Thank the lord it was not the transformer!

I'll replace that cap with another x-rated one - thanks again:

Now, onto a related issue - the on/off switch has never worked and now I have it 'prone' I should ideally replace it.

Any ideas where one would get a switch like that photographed please . . a big ask on a hot day - but this is why the Forum works!!!

SEAN
Thanks in advance - and to all that said Rifa!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back of switch.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	213352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch - board.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	213353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch - cap.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	213355  
Old 12th Aug 2020, 5:46 pm   #10
Station X

Sounds like a problem I had with a Cambridge P50 which I repaired. I was listening to it when there was an almighty bang, loads of smoke and what smelled like a burning transformer. Turned out that a Rifa connected in series with a resistor across the mains had gone short-circuit vapourising the resistor.

The amp carried on working once the 3 fuse in the mains plug was replaced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190325_193421.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	213356  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 6:16 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The switch is probably clagged-up with old dried-out contact-grease or similar: rather than replacing it you have nothing to lose by buying a can of 'brake cleaner' spray from the local car-parts place, putting the switch in a small jam-jar, squirting-in a load of the cleaner then screwing the lid on and leaving for a few days so the cleaner can do its thing on the cruddy grease.

Then take the switch out and use more cleaner squirted directly into any openings/apertures you can see on the switch, then 'work' it vigorously on-and-off, then more squirting!

it takes a lot to dislodge decades of dust that have settled into the grease.
Old 12th Aug 2020, 6:58 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStevens View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
The most common cause of this sort of thing - hopefully - is the snubber capacitor across the mains with the most common offender being the RIFA semi-transparent ones.
Dear Welsh Anorak, you win!

I have attached a photo the component which is EXACTLY what you said it was and even semi-transparent. Thank the lord it was not the transformer!

I'll replace that cap with another x-rated one - thanks again:

Now, onto a related issue - the on/off switch has never worked and now I have it 'prone' I should ideally replace it.

Any ideas where one would get a switch like that photographed please . . a big ask on a hot day - but this is why the Forum works!!!

SEAN
Thanks in advance - and to all that said Rifa!
So where was the RIFA fitted ? on the underside of the board as photo 2, if so looks like it was was connected across Live and Neutral (which is not shown in the schematic), I guess the 2 green devices in photo 1 are the 4,700pF caps.

DAVID
Old 12th Aug 2020, 8:52 pm   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockden View Post
It seems there may be different versions of the circuit.
It would seem so, as with a recent Quad thread, same fault, same variance. EMC compliance?
Old 12th Aug 2020, 9:49 pm   #14
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Happened to mine years ago. Everything carried on working, I couldn't see any signs of distress, so I just ignored it. That amp is in line for a major overhaul so I'll investigate it further then.
I have a NAD 3020 reciever, which I bought new in the 1980's and I'm hoping that it will "see me out"! It's working perfectly, and has never emitted any smoke, but I do sometimes wonder whether some "preventive maintenance" would be a good idea, or to stick to the path of "if it ain't broke..."?

My NAD cassette deck died some months ago (complex issues in the transport mechanism which hours of effort failed to resolve), but I managed to substitute that with a Harmon Kardon TD392, bought via ebay but from a local seller.

B
Old 13th Aug 2020, 7:51 am   #15
SeanStevens
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
So where was the RIFA fitted ? on the underside of the board as photo 2, if so looks like it was was connected across Live and Neutral (which is not shown in the schematic), I guess the 2 green devices in photo 1 are the 4,700pF caps.
It was across the first two holds as you say. The green gremlins are marked 250v, 1k. (resistors?)

I will treat the switch, but it is broken at the front (post itself is snapped) and it is currently broken in the 'on' position. I may get unlucky and get it to move from 'on' to permanently 'off'!

Does the switch look generic to you people?

SEAN
Old 13th Aug 2020, 9:53 am   #16
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'll have a look if I have something similar.
If you have repaired NADs you'll know the schematic serves as a general guide as the unit you're working on will be significantly different!
I'll claim my prize later...
Old 13th Aug 2020, 10:02 am   #17
peter_sol
Octode

Hi Sean.

I have a switch which looks like that.
It looks used but you are welcome to it FOC.
I assume you have the knob.
If you PM me with your details I'll pop it in the post.
Regards

Peter.
Old 13th Aug 2020, 10:03 am   #18
Goldie99
Heptode

Not sure on the exact details for the 3030 switch, but this may be close:

https://www.rapidonline.com/Power-PC...efe5667219c31a
Old 13th Aug 2020, 10:11 am   #19
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Sean, I have the 2 push switches shown below. I guess size is important so I included the ruler. End-on the max height of the blue-tipped switch is 24mm; the hole spacing on the front bracket is 18mm. The other one measures height of the black bracket 15mm, white part 8mm (including contacts 17mm). Mounting holes 23mm. Are either of these any use? Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080187.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	213368  
Old 13th Aug 2020, 10:29 am   #20
G6ONEDave
Octode

The 2 green gremlins are capacitors and the 1K suggests that they are 1000pf or 0.001uf if you prefer the uf value.
Closed Thread