UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2020, 8:14 am   #1
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default RIFA again, 3 connector one Sewing Machine

I have just been asked to look at my sisters Husqvana Viking 6370 sewing machine, it suddenly started to run at full speed, ah, I know how to fix this I thought, shorted caps in the foot pedal…opened up pedal...no caps!, moved on inside the machine and found split Rifa across the terminals from the foot pedal, but I also found another cap mounted on the motor, a three terminal one (also split) connected to both motor terminals and to the motor casing.

Questions, are the caps only for RF suppression? Or do the reduce commutator arcing as well?

I am aware that I need X2 type caps across the supply and Y type between supply and ground, so how would I replace the three terminal one?

What is considered the best thing to do ?

Many thanks Philip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1227.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	213215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1229.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	213216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1232.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	213217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1234.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	213218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1236.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	213219  

Old 11th Aug 2020, 10:02 am   #2
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default Re: RIFA again, 3 connector one Sewing Machine

Whoops, wrong section
Mods please move
Philip
Old 11th Aug 2020, 10:40 am   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

The three terminal ones are often referred to as "delta" types, from the supposed resemblance to the triangular circuit disposition between L, N and E connections- that might help with searching. I'm sure folk quite often just snip faulty ones out and leave it at that but it's probably best to replace them for the sake of the brushes and contacts as you say. Brush motors can be very antisocial otherwise, even clobbering supposedly robust services like digital radio and TV.

The syndrome of sewing machines going full pelt with a faulty RIFA has been mentioned a few times here, it means that there's quite a serious personal safety question to add to the charge sheet apart from the annoyance, smell, fuse-blowing and possible fire hazard.

Colin
Old 11th Aug 2020, 4:22 pm   #4
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Thanks Colin
Thanks for the suggestion I have now found replacements at RS, I think I will refit as close as possible to the original, its always a bit different when its not your own!
I just have to think of what over bits to cover the min order size for free delivery
Philip
Old 11th Aug 2020, 4:45 pm   #5

Quote:
I just have to think of what over bits to cover the min order size for free delivery
Some yellow 100nF capacitors.

Old 11th Aug 2020, 5:59 pm   #6
paulsherwin

I'm pretty sure the 3 terminal ones are just 2 class Ys in a single package.
Closed Thread