UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2021, 7:09 pm   #21
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Bowling Ball Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Yes, that's amazing, David!

I passed on one of these in the local charity shop just before lockdown. I wish I'd grabbed it now in a way, there don't seem to be too many of them surviving.
You're right, I've had this model on my "wanted" list for many years, I just don't see them anymore!
Old 10th Mar 2021, 2:13 am   #22
majoconz
Heptode

I had great success in making a new dial scale for my Sony CRF5090. The original had distorted from the heat of the scale lights - I flattened it with a warm clothes iron on a solid piece of ply but it was still distorted. A bit of juggling with IrfanView and PhotoDeLuxe straightened it up. A local print shop showed me some plastic A4 sheets and the one that I picked worked really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale warped sml.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	228787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale finished sml.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	228788   Click image for larger version

Name:	straight dial scale sml.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	228789  
Old 10th Mar 2021, 2:36 am   #23
Robert Darwent
Heptode

If it's needed, a high resolution copy of the dial I did several years back. Suitably zipped so the forum software doesn't alter it.

BTW there are two versions of the dial. Compare the images of the dark set and the tan set on my website - http://www.wavesintheair.co.uk/bc4941.html

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC4941 dial 4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	228794  
Attached Files
File Type: zip BC4941 dial 4.zip (591.6 KB, 50 views)

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 10th Mar 2021 at 2:55 am.
Old 11th Mar 2021, 11:48 pm   #24
majoconz
Heptode

Robert thought that getting a professional printer to print from his artwork would be prohibitively expensive - that's how I got the printing done on my CRF5090. I don't recall the actual cost but I got two done in case of mistakes so it couldn't have been that bad.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 10:01 am   #25
cashwowud
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37 View Post
Whilst waiting for the dew to lift from the lawn before mowing it, I found a bit of space on the kitchen table to disassemble the GEC and scan the dial

I have a jpg 1200dpi scan (1Mb)
I also have this file saved as a png (28Mb)

both are too big to post here, but I am quite happy to email it to whoever wants it - photo attached is only 39Kb!

Cheers
Andy
Hi Andy. Sorry it's taken a few days for me to come back but I've had a few (not serious) problems but now sorted. Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to scan the dial and yes - please can you email me the file. I don't know wether the large one can be sent but maybe worth a try.

Thanks again,

Charles

Last edited by Station X; 12th Mar 2021 at 7:12 pm. Reason: Email address removed. Please exchange details using the PM system.
Old 13th Mar 2021, 2:59 pm   #26
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I note your request for an original dial in the Wanted section and hope it bears fruit.

If not, a few more thoughts about the two options suggested earlier:

1) A waterslide transfer ('decal') on the rear of a new sheet of glass.

I hadn't realised that the 'nicks' around the edges of the two windows in the scan aren't white, but like the windows, are I think clear glass.

The image would need to be reversed for the text to appear the correct way round of course. I'd mentioned that a waterslide decal printed on clear decal paper is unlikely to give the results you'd wish for, but as a first step you could give it a try. That would have the advantage that all the white areas would be transparent - not just the two 'windows' but also, the little 'nicks' that show up white along the edges of the windows on the scan.

I'd reiterate that the downside of clear decal paper is that the colours have low opacity, and whilst they look fine when still on the backing paper or when applied to something such as a white ceramic mug, they're semi-transparent when applied to glass. That is particularly so when the dial is backlit. However, as your radio isn't backlit a decal on clear paper might just be satisfactory. You'd only know if you gave it a try.

If you were not happy with the result, you could print onto white decal paper and while still on the backing paper, carefully cut out the two 'windows' with a scalpel modelling knife. It would be quite a challenge to also cut out the little 'nicks' along the edges of the windows and they might look OK in white anyway.

Creating and applying waterslide decals is an acquired skill, touched on in other threads.

Once printed, two or three coats of clear gloss acrylic lacquer need to be applied. (Car lacquer is fine). You need to do that in a warm dust free atmosphere and cover it up with say a plastic box so dust doesn't settle on it as the lacquer dries. If done outdoors, from springtime onwards there are lots of tiny insects and pollen in the air. Indoors, there is always dust around. I have a greenhouse, so do it in there before there is any pollen around from plants.

When it comes to applying the decal, the term 'waterslide' is a bit misleading. You never slide the decal off the backing paper, which might seem the obvious thing to do. You hold it in the position in which it’s to be applied and gently slide the backing paper from beneath the decal taking care not to stretch it as you smooth it down. If you wet the glass first, you won't get air bubbles trapped beneath the decal and as you smooth it down, any water will be exuded. Once successfully applied, they adhere very well and are durable. If a first attempt isn't successful, all you've lost is a sheet of paper and some time, but you've gained experience so it's not a total loss.

At least now, you have a high resolution scan to work from.

2) The other option mentioned earlier, would be a scan on paper, sandwiched between two sheets of thin glass. which would be less challenging and well worth a try.

The only other option would be professional screen printing, which will have been how the originals were created by Cellgrave. However, that would cost far more than the radio is worth, albeit the cost would reduce if you bought say ten or more in the hope of selling them on, as the set-up cost would be the same for one as for lots more.

As screen printing goes, though the dials isn't too complex, nevertheless, it has four colours.

You could always make enquiries, if only to satisfy yourself that you've explored all avenues.

Every success in your endeavours.
Old 14th Mar 2021, 11:01 am   #27
cashwowud
Diode

Thanks a lot for that info David - I'll certainly take it all on board. I'm at the stage now where I've got a good image of the right size and so for a stopgap I'm going with your option 2 with 2 pieces of glass. Then I can take my time exploring other methods. I used to have a customer who printed photos onto glass as a sideline business and so if I can find him he may do me a favour. However whatever the method I end up using I'm not in a panic.
I'll report back when I've made progress but as I've a few other hobbies this may take some time.
Charles
Closed Thread