UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2021, 9:23 am   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default BBC World Service Idents (Lillibullero with pips).

A chum sent me a Youtube Video of BBC Idents, (historical and up to the present day), which I thought might be of interest to others.

It includes Idents of the BBC Empire Service (up till 1948) followed by the General Overseas Service (till 1980s) including, for a short time, 'oranges and Lemons' ident in the 1970s. After that is Lilliburlero, the world famous ident of the BBC World Service as played from the 1990s till 2008. Finally, the Brand New BBC World Service Theme by David Lowe who has composed many BBC themes for both radio and TV:

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJ5_j4U6HQ

The tune ‘Lilliburlero’ was a march composed by Henry Purcell in 335 years ago, back in 1686, and has an interesting and controversial history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillibullero

I guess few of us will have heard of David Lowe, who is an English composer and music producer, but almost every time we tune in to the BBC we will hear the themes that he's composed for BBC radio and TV . (EG: the 2019 General Election, the One Show, Countryfile, Panorama, Cash in the Attic, Wildlife on One, and so on). His work mostly comprises music for TV, radio, commercials and idents. He's is best known for his extensive work on theme tunes for bulletins and programmes for BBC News.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...radio_composer)

How times change - the 'Received Pronunciation' ('RP') accents in the intro to the BBC Idents are excruciating - the male announcer sounds like an undertaker going out of business and the female has a voice like a knife on glass, evocative of Harry Enfield's character 'Cholmondeley Warner':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQWPR9TM0Gk

The use by the BBC of 'RP' gave a distorted view of how many in Britain spoke like that. Very few in fact. In 1974, it was estimated at no higher than 3% of the population, and it's now been almost completely supplanted by 'Standard Southern British English'.

A BBC World Service announcer in 2020 speaking Standard Southern British English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssw7cn2TbF0

(Many nowadays retain their regional accents, even if toned down).

Hope these ramblings and the videos might be of interest.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:34 am   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC World Service Idents (Lilliburlero with pips).

It was interesting and quite illuminating to listen to Steve Wright on the BBC World Service and then listen to him on 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' on BBC Radio 2.

It wasn't unreasonable to think that there were two Steve Wrights.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:09 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

The tune ‘Lilliburlero’ was a march composed by Henry Purcell in 335 years ago, back in 1686, and has an interesting and controversial history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillibullero
That Wiki article states:

Another likely reason for the particular choice of this tune during World War II is that its beginning bars sound the 'Victory V' rhythm (dit dit dit dah, repeated) i.e. the letter V in Morse code, which was used in various forms by the BBC in its home and foreign services.

Does anyone know when the BBC WS stopped using the "V" drumbeat interval signal? Early 1970s I think.
https://soundcloud.com/transdiffusio...-tuning-signal
Old 7th Sep 2021, 11:58 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Lillibullero is perceived as sectarian in Ireland, which is the main reason the BBC stopped using it. The other reason was to modernise the sound of the output, with the discontinuation of the 'this is the news from London' Empire era idents.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 9:06 am   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

Does anyone know when the BBC WS stopped using the "V" drumbeat interval signal? Early 1970s I think.
The V signal was certainly in use in 2013 as Interval Signal 7 (BBC European Service), and had been used since - at least - the 1980s. But this was not the 'drum' version.

I don't know when the 'drum' version ceased other than it was probably before 1983, but I do know it was played on an African war drum by percussionist James Blades, and which the enemy tried desperately to replicate for their wartime propaganda broadcasts, but failed.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 9:41 am   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

Some of the foreign language services used the musical notation B, B, C, repeated, I
remember one sounded like it was played on a celeste. Those who are old enough may
remember it was also heard in the gaps in the tv test card music, on a xylophone.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 10:03 am   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC World Service Idents (Lillibullero with pips).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
Some of the foreign language services used the musical notation B, B, C, repeated.
That was BBC Interval Signal No:6 and was the World Service Overseas interval signal. One interval signal that struck me was the RCI 'ding-ding-di-dong' signal which we used to broadcast (Interval Signal No:10). Sometimes, very occasionally, it had one hell of a vibrato on it, and I don't know if there was a reason for this or whether it was just a dodgy tape!

Quote:
Those who are old enough may
remember it was also heard in the gaps in the tv test card music, on a xylophone.
Yes, I remember those. It was a lot higher-pitched as I recall. I have visions of Gladys Pugh (Ruth Madoc) with her little xylophone in 'Hi-de-Hi' now!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 10:36 am   #8
Richard675
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
It was interesting and quite illuminating to listen to Steve Wright on the BBC World Service and then listen to him on 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' on BBC Radio 2.
I can remember hearing DLT on WS, playing listeners pop music requests from all over the world.

One of the interesting programmes I listened to on the car radio on 648 was “Seven Seas” a music request prog for Merchant sailors from their families etc.

Then there was “World Radio Club”….

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 8th Sep 2021 at 10:41 am. Reason: Hopefully fixed quote
Old 8th Sep 2021, 12:11 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Many years ago, possibly as far back as "BBC Breakfast Time" with Frank Bough, a young female self-op presenter took the Manchester morning news and weather opt-out, summoned her best RP voice, and announced,

"Seven hours Greenwich Mean Time"
(or whatever the time was)

I know what your last gig was, I thought. I don't think I had seen her before, so it could have been first morning nerves, but the BVSH house style sounded very out of place on TV.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 12:37 pm   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

The RCI signal was the first four notes of "O Canada" the national anthem.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 12:43 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Must admit, my favourite interval signal on shortwave was the carillon used by Radio Nederland Wereldomroep.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 5:23 pm   #12
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Some of the foreign language services used the musical notation B, B, C, repeated, I
remember one sounded like it was played on a celeste. Those who are old enough may
Is this the one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSnLqANcqxA

(Ignore the visuals and intercarrier hum!).
Old 8th Sep 2021, 9:38 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

I recall that when John Tusa became managing director of BBC WS, he was said to have metaphorically fallen off his chair on hearing the bombastic title tune for the Radio Newsreel programme, and had decided that the "Empire Service" really needed to be dragged at least a little nearer to the last part of the 20th century in presentation and content. Certainly, I had thought for a long time that the tune was like something from those brisk, hectoring "the Hun's on the run"-type newsreels of a different time entirely and wasn't so surprised when it was finally displaced. Presumably, Lillibullero also came under the spotlight as a result of this cultural update.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 10:19 pm   #14
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16v View Post
No. This is the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVAv0DNu-w

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread