UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2021, 8:16 pm   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Carbon resistors - replace or shunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
I have different personal standards for vintage test equipment and vintage consumer equipment.

For vintage test equipment it's function over form almost every time. That means modern components.
I'll go along with that- whilst I like all my vintage stuff to be workers and working well, test gear that is anything other than switch-it-on-and-go dependable is a nuisance. Vintage radios and the like can also be attractive bits of furniture, or have significant historical appeal, so can be excused a bit of eccentricity or grumpiness in operation but very few bits of test gear are "pretty" or headline-earning, so they have to earn their keep by being quirk-free as far as possible. Otherwise, it's too easy to get into the loop of looking for test gear to mend the other test gear while the original subject gets pushed into the background.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 9:03 pm   #22
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Carbon resistors - replace or shunt?

Quite, if it can't be relied upon to do it's job it's a paperweight (or even a dead weight)
The few things that i have that are broken, are off site in less than totally ideal storage conditions..but i would rather that-than be tripping over them whilst getting to the good stuff.

Dave
Closed Thread