UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2021, 12:47 am   #1
Richie4540
Diode

Default Type D MK V - with TMC handset 40 - how to open receiver end

HI, i have acquired a Field telephone and in the process of cleaning and replacing worn out cables and get it working, I am stuck trying to open the receiver end of the hand piece.

The transmitter end has a latching three way lug system and it opens easily once the mechanism is depressed through the hole, but for the life of me I cant get the receiver end open.

I am wrong in thinking its just a treaded cap??

I have tried holding the cap in a vice with soft jaws and all i get is a less than 1mm wiggle and the cap seems to hit a hard stop, but I cant find any opening.

The hand piece has TMC marked on the outside and inside the transmitter end a circle with t.m.c 40.

its similar to this one -
https://hatchfive.files.wordpress.co...-29.jpeg?w=496
Old 20th Aug 2021, 8:52 am   #2
pip5678
Pentode

Default Re: Type D MK V - with TMC handset 40 - how to open receiver end

Assuming it is a screw on, it is hard to tell from the picture in the link, I have always managed to get the GPO 164 handsets' receiver caps unscrewed by pouring hot water over and using a jar opener like the one in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61wW1QLVsfL._AC_SL1250_.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	239696  
Old 20th Aug 2021, 9:25 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Yes, Telephone Set "D" uses the 184 handset with a screw fitting on the receiver cap. This often becomes jammed (usually the result of dirt in the thread) and requires some lubrication to get it open, and/or (as described above) warming up the cap to expand it.

It's a matter of perserverance.
Old 20th Aug 2021, 12:57 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

A hot-air paint stripper is my preferred tool — Bakelite is surprisingly heat-proof. Make sure you've got a thick glove on before trying to remove it though.
Closed Thread