UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2021, 10:46 pm   #1
buggies
Heptode

Default Perdio TVs

There have been a couple of threads recently about Perdio TVs including at least one oddball.
I have included below some Perdio television job numbers copied verbatim from my old (undated) typewritten list
I have omitted some items like UHF amplifiers and power supplies since the job numbers were used for internal costing purposes so included in-house test equipment.
A couple of my comments in braces.

34 - 9" Portable Television {This would be the Mk1 which was exhibited at the Radio Show but not sold as far as I know}

45 - 9" Pallion Port. T.V. {The well known Mk2}

66 - 8 1/2" 405/625 Home Market
67 - 8 1/2" 525 Line Export U.S.A {Suspect this was the design for US bases in Arctic - not sold}
68 - 19" 405/625 switched Home Market
69 - 8 1/2" Monitor 405/625 (Video input)
70 - 14" Monitor 405/625 (Video input)
71 - 8 1/2" 625 Line Export

77 - 8 1/2" Portarama for 405 to 405/625 switches Covbersion Kit
78 - 8 1/2" Monitor 625 (Video input) Imhof 'Minilok' Cabinet
79 - 8 1/2" Monitor 405 (Video input) in Portarama Case
80 - Ditto 625 Ditto
81 - 19" Monitor 405/625 switched (video input)

138 - Export 625 VHF T.V.

170 11" T.V. Transistor
171 11" TV Hybrid {The last job in my list}

I have the original job 66 (405/625) circuit diagrams and have photographed them to pdf but will not post them here since the Portarama 3 Trader sheet is available on site. I downloaded this sheet (I only have the radio DVDs) and did a rough check to confirm the same. The only difference I spotted was an extra OC81 (instead of diode) and preset RV5 for frame sync and some voltages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	238590  
Old 1st Aug 2021, 9:33 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Perdio TVs

How unusual and rewarding to see a hand drawn schematic. Having spent hours on a drawing board, I take my hat off to the draftsman or person who manages to replicate the resistor, inductor etc. time and time again with their personal "trade mark" just adding that "little extra" to the document.

Chris
Old 1st Aug 2021, 10:13 am   #3
thermionic
Heptode

Hello George.

Thank you for posting this list and information, it’s very interesting. I guess you’ve seen my thread on here of my 11” MK3 ‘ish portable. I also have a standard 8 1/2” MK3. The 11” set incorporates the additional preset (RV5), but the 8 1/2” doesn’t.

The trader sheet for the MK3, which seems the only diagram I can find, has no voltage references on it apart from indicating a 100 Volt rail and a 350 Volt rail generated by the line output stage. I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of your circuit diagram, if at all possible.

I’m guessing from the information you have that you were an employee of Perdio at some point?

Cheers.

SimonT.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:07 pm   #4
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
How unusual and rewarding to see a hand drawn schematic. Having spent hours on a drawing board, I take my hat off to the draftsman or person who manages to replicate the resistor, inductor etc. time and time again with their personal "trade mark" just adding that "little extra" to the document.

Chris
Hi Chris - I only did a very short stint drawing circuits and found the transformers and coils the worst. Never really got the hang of lettering neatly.

The pcb drawing was easier since most of the components were round or rectangular. The trackside was mostly freehand.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:16 pm   #5
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
I’m guessing from the information you have that you were an employee of Perdio at some point?
Hi Simon - short answer - yes I was.
Started as the TV lab assistant in 1961 between the Mk1 and MkII.
Moved up to Sunderland to help start up the TV line and remained there doing various stuff until closure.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:31 pm   #6
Red to black
Nonode

Poor you and I am from Sunderland

Please post up the hand drawn circuit diagrams up as pdfs. as I don't suppose Paul would mind too much just as long as they are not the same as what is offered by the forum download service or his excellent DVDs
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 11:43 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

George (buggies) asked here and I agree that it is different and useful data that should be shared.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=182458

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 1:32 pm   #8
buggies
Heptode

Thank you Paul,

If you think they are worth proper scanning after reviewing then I could post the originals to you.

There are eleven, fairly empty, A3 sheets, probably to make it easier for troubleshooting on the line. I have photographed them using a mobile phone and tried to improve the contrast slightly with Ifanview.
I know there is no UHF tuner circuit but I hope all the rest is there - as that is all I have.

14MB available from my dropbox (hopefully):-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d0eu2zjex...job66.pdf?dl=0

Trivia...
Although the sheet title block says "Perdio London", the drafting was actually done in the Sunderland drawing office.
There was also a radio development lab with two engineers but as far as I remember, no new products were actually designed there, just post-production work.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 6:02 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have an A3 scanner and it would be good to get proper scans (although your mobile phone ones are very good). I'll PM you with my address.

Paul Stenning
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 6:43 pm   #10
Red to black
Nonode

A big thankyou Buggies for sharing these
Thanks also go to Paul for allowing them to be shared here
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:25 pm   #11
thermionic
Heptode

That’s extremely helpful.

Thank you George and Paul.

SimonT.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 12:01 am   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The general rule and approach is that any service data that offers new, different or improved information is welcome. These original circuit diagrams with voltages definitely do that (especially as the Trader sheet for this set is quite poor).

Paul Stenning
Old 4th Aug 2021, 6:38 pm   #13
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
Trivia...

There was also a radio development lab with two engineers but as far as I remember, no new products were actually designed there, just post-production work.
Hello George.

Your information is very interesting. I, like many here I suspect, would treasure any insight into the way things were at Perdio whilst you were there. Anecdotes, people, designers (especially the TV development side), we would love to hear about. It’s so important to gather as much information of these companies from employees who were there at the time, this information is gold dust, and will one day be lost if not recorded.

I can understand you not wanting to sit at a keyboard and plod away for hours typing, so if I can help in any way, please let me know.

SimonT.
Old 5th Aug 2021, 7:15 pm   #14
buggies
Heptode

Hi Simon,

I have had a couple of attempts in the last couple of years but found I tended to ramble off topic, since most of my memories are about what I was doing. Also, memory is not too good for peoples' surnames.
I might have another attempt in the coming months and stick it on a waffle blog somewhere - perhaps I could then extract any relevant bits and post in the forum before I fall off the edge of the age survey post.
Old 5th Aug 2021, 8:35 pm   #15
thermionic
Heptode

Hi George.

It would be brilliant if you could! Perhaps just talking into a tape recorder, dictaphone or voice recorder would be easier?

I would be happy to transcribe the audio for you.

Cheers. Simon.
Old 9th Aug 2021, 6:29 pm   #16
buggies
Heptode

Work in progress.
Old 10th Aug 2021, 7:03 pm   #17
thermionic
Heptode

That sounds great George.

Thank you!
Old 10th Aug 2021, 7:39 pm   #18
Reelman
Octode

And a thanks from me as well George, stories from the actual time bring history alive and are a joy to read!

I kept on and on to my father to write down his war experiences, he finally started but sadly only wrote three pages before he died. Since he was Polish and forced into slave neighbour and then the Kreigsmarine he had some amazing stories to tell. What’s more he was never bitter about what happened to him.

Peter
Closed Thread