UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2019, 8:48 pm   #21
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Custom TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I can only comment on the PCBs that are used in the Nikkai-badged version.

In that set, the TV PCB contains all the audio circuitry for the TV side, including the power amplifier to drive the speaker. You will get TV sound with the TV board alone.

The radio PCB is effectively an AM/FM tuner. It feeds audio into the power amplifier on the TV PCB to drive the speaker. So the radio PCB on its own is not a complete radio. It needs the TV PCB to work.
I think they're all the same, just different brand names, not 100% sure, though they're probably all very similar if not the same. (Other than AV input sets, and non AV input)

Alright, I think i'll remove the radio as it's not really what I bought it for, and it'll clear the inside up a lot, having only 1 PCB inside and not having wires all over the place.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:15 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I suppose it's this sort of thing we are talking about?

Mine is pink and see-through!

I've had it for at least 12 years and never seen it working, It's totally dead on AC & 12v including the radio, so there can't be much wrong, I think I'll have a look. Watch this space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9470.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	178661  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:21 pm   #23
19Seventy7
Octode

It's very similar, I suspect internally is virtually identical in terms of components.

Mine is identical to the set attached, even down to the lack of AV input.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5_Inch_Black_and_White_TV_With_AM_FM_Radio.gif
Views:	110
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	178664   Click image for larger version

Name:	5_Inch_Black_and_White_TV_With_AM_FM_Radio_Back.gif
Views:	85
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	178665  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:44 pm   #24
electronicskip
Nonode

I also have one of those identical in the picture.
My daughter bought it for me as a birthday present many years ago , but its never been out of the box, its somewhere in the loft under tons of Scalextric equipment .
Old 18th Feb 2019, 11:51 pm   #25
19Seventy7
Octode

They're quite common, probably due to the amount of brand's they're under.

It's been said that these give quite a decent picture, but at the moment I couldn't say as I have had power supply issues with mine due to the plug, which should be sorted tomorrow.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 12:04 am   #26
Clydeuk
Hexode

There are (or maybe were) a couple of these at my parents. They were free gifts from mail order catalogues. I'm pretty sure they're still around, though they may have been given to the charity collections. I don't think they were ever used. This was right towards the end of CRT equipment and the country was flooded with them.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 12:15 am   #27
Richard_FM
Nonode

I got mine from Grattans as a gift for opening an account.

It's been used from time to time, especially since I got a modulator.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 12:44 am   #28
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Re post #26,
I found a bit of print blown that feeding power, now that has been bridged the FM radio is quite lively, although it motor-boats at high volume.
Nothing on AM and TV dead, no CRT heaters or sound.
Next to nothing on the emitter of the 10.8v regulator (I'm using the circuit "B&WTV.PDF but I can't comment if it's similar to my set yet)
Pulled out the transistor and it's a 2SB834 with a b-e short and b-c open

I am out of PNP power transistors so I've put 10off TIP42C on the next slow boat, for 99p delivered, and put the set back in the garage where I found it.

I've actually got two colour TV's that are a bit smaller than this one, I think they both work.
They were ex Hospital bedside sets, I'll see if I can find them and take a picture.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 1:04 am   #29
19Seventy7
Octode

That's a shame, I don't think I pick up AM either, and the TV only operates on FM.

I think there is also one of your set, the photos look similar.

I'd love to see those sets too!

The PDF is in the attached section
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TV 486 Service Manual.pdf (832.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 19th Feb 2019, 1:08 am   #30
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I got mine from Grattans as a gift for opening an account.

It's been used from time to time, especially since I got a modulator.
I got mine to use while my Hitachi was under repair, but of course, I soon fixed the Hitachi after getting the TV and then this one had its own problem!

I obviously haven't used it since, but I'd love to be able to try and convert it into another retro styled set.

As Richard has said, there are so many of them on auction sites, ranging from around a fiver and some to £50 with various colour, transparency and brand names.

With the digital switch over, I wouldn't have thought many people would make the effort to convert a 5" black and white TV.

Thanks
Old 19th Feb 2019, 2:27 am   #31
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
That's a shame, I don't think I pick up AM either, and the TV only operates on FM.

I think there is also one of your set, the photos look similar.

I'd love to see those sets too!

The PDF is in the attached section
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&d=1550534650
Yes indeed, that is my set, but there is no schematic of the TV board, only the radio PCB.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 2:43 am   #32
19Seventy7
Octode

Sorry, i didnt really check, i just saw the set drawing and the schematic so i thought it could be of help to you.

That and the schematic for my TV were the only two 5” set PDFs, perhaps that could be of some help?
Old 25th Mar 2019, 10:37 pm   #33
19Seventy7
Octode

Hello again

I've got to re casing the TV set. Before I actually made the "cabinet" (It still isn't made because I have a couple theories and questions) I took off the radio PCB and disconnected the battery wires (There isn't going to be a battery supply)

I theorise that I could perhaps move some controls from the PCB to another location within the set by soldering wires onto the control its self, and also perhaps putting a better speaker in, there is an 8ohm 1W speaker, which sounds terrible. Perhaps an 8ohms 4 watts? Is this possible to do so, of course having to match the amplifier.

My next question is a bit silly, but asking will save a lot of time (and patience.) I would like for the design to have the CRT push through the cabinet, like 70s TVs had, however I've been trying to find how to get the right size, of course drawing round the CRT. (In various ways i.e. pen upright. pen angled etc) but none have worked. I haven't done this on the wood yet as there isn't a great deal of wood.

Any help and tips and tricks is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 25th Mar 2019, 10:49 pm   #34
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Seventy7 View Post
Hello again

My next question is a bit silly, but asking will save a lot of time (and patience.) I would like for the design to have the CRT push through the cabinet, like 70s TVs had, however I've been trying to find how to get the right size, of course drawing round the CRT. (In various ways i.e. pen upright. pen angled etc) but none have worked. I haven't done this on the wood yet as there isn't a great deal of wood.

Any help and tips and tricks is appreciated!

Thanks!
Make a template out of cardboard first, this is easy to cut with scissors, plus you can progressively enlarge the hole for the tube without using the much harder to work (and waste!) material you want to use.
Old 25th Mar 2019, 11:13 pm   #35
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'd be tempted to add a second amplifier to drive a bigger speaker or, better still, use the audio output from the DVD or whatever to drive its own amplifier and speaker. Then it could be as loud as you like!
About the only fault we had with these was the coupling capacitor (bipolar) to the scan coils. Mind you, they were so cheap that few people bothered to have them repaired.
Old 26th Mar 2019, 1:32 am   #36
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Make a template out of cardboard first, this is easy to cut with scissors, plus you can progressively enlarge the hole for the tube without using the much harder to work (and waste!) material you want to use.
Hi,

That's a good idea, I didn't think of that! Just pretty much every other awkward way!

I'll give it a shot and see how I get on.

Quote:
use the audio output from the DVD or whatever to drive its own amplifier and speaker. Then it could be as loud as you like!
Mind you, they were so cheap that few people bothered to have them repaired.
That's a good idea, I think I'll do that. I'll still include the original speaker because it'd be stupid not to.
It's relatively lucky in a way that they were and still are cheap, they seem to be okay sets, and are a great way to get to know CRTs a little better. For me, the original casing is boring and kind of ugly, and so I could "experiment" (not quite literally) with these sets and wouldn't be taking the "character" away from it. Something I couldn't do with a proper vintage set.

Thanks for your help! It's appreciated!
Old 26th Mar 2019, 7:03 pm   #37
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I'd be tempted to add a second amplifier to drive a bigger speaker or, better still, use the audio output from the DVD or whatever to drive its own amplifier and speaker. Then it could be as loud as you like!
About the only fault we had with these was the coupling capacitor (bipolar) to the scan coils. Mind you, they were so cheap that few people bothered to have them repaired.
You can add the PNP 10v regulator to that, my bag of TIP42C arrived and that's my set fixed.
Couldn't be bothered looking for a source, but the 4G around here has got a lot stronger since the last time I checked.

Nice sensitive tuner as expected, and it does low band VHF TV, I wonder if the Russians will still be on in the next Sp-E season?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF9548.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	180483  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 8:10 pm   #38
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Custom TV

Hi,
A word of warning.
If you need to disconnect the tube, be very careful pulling the socket off the base. I've found that the evacuation 'pip' is quite a snug fit in the connector, and it's very easy to break it off (Guess how I found out). Do not 'wiggle' it off, pull it off straight.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 26th Mar 2019, 9:05 pm   #39
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

I have actually taken the socket off, along with the DY. I'm still trying to get the right size for the CRT "push through hole" (If that makes sense)

The socket seemed a little loose anyway and came straight off, the tube is fine though.

Thank you for your help
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 6:36 pm   #40
Brigham
Octode

Now this shows how diverse we can be. I hated it when the CRT started to push-through the front of the cabinet, and I kept hold of as many old sets with a front glass as the grown-ups would tolerate.
The same went for the ghastly arrangement with the controls and loudspeaker down one side. Aaaargh! The asymmetry!
Now, if I were to re-house one of these 5.5" sparrow-size sets, it would very likely have a cabinet twice as tall as wide, and a mirror lid!
Closed Thread