UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2019, 1:58 pm   #1
Robint 47
Tetrode

Default HMV 1124 dial cord.

Hello all
At the moment the finishing touches to above model The dial cord is foxing me i have a diagram yes plus hundreds done with and without diagram.
In this one a length of wire is used anyone know why, i think it may have stretched, is it because of the attachment of the tuning pointers or some other reason.
In fact i wonder if the diagram is correct as i am unable to match the position of the join of wire and string. Does anyone know if i can use "modern dial cord " grateful for any pointers

Regards Robinl
Old 17th Feb 2019, 4:46 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: HMV 1124 dial cord.

Hi Robinl, I don't have visibility of the 1124 Trader Sheet - and not sure exactly what the problem is. However, providing the knot joining the wire to the cord doesn't ride over a pulley it shouldn't matter precisely where the join is. If it does ride over a pulley you would get a lumpy action and maybe slipping drive. I'm guessing wire was used when there was a lot of friction because it would be less likely to stretch than cord. Philips/Mullard used a lot of wire drives as you probably know. Unless you are constantly spinning from one end of the dial to the other you will probably get away with just using cord. Try it and see. For wire drives I bought some "Beadalon" which is bead stringing wire for jewellers. It comes in a variety of thicknesses and I found 0.012 in (0.3mm) was just right. Hope that helps. Cheers, Jerry
Old 17th Feb 2019, 8:32 pm   #3
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 1124 dial cord.

Some sets used a steel wire to supply power to a moving dial lamp.
Closed Thread