UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2019, 2:46 pm   #1
SeaBear
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mains switchover not happening on Roberts R606-MB

Hello. I am new to this site and haven’t fathomed out the search facility yet, so forgive me if this is a common thread. My radio (listed above) works just fine. That is, until I plug in a mains cable. The expected switchover to mains power doesn’t take place, the radio continues to work, using battery power. It is possible to depress the little “pedal” in the plug socket. What might be my solution. Thanking you in advance. Jonathan
Old 15th Feb 2019, 4:41 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Mains switchover not happening on Roberts R606-MB

Hello and welcome. The switch on these is apparently prone to failure.
This thread may also give some clues to your problem: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=121588

PS. found by entering R606-MB in the "search this website" box above
Old 15th Feb 2019, 6:46 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Mains switchover not happening on Roberts R606-MB

If it's not already fitted, one solution would be to add a series diode (1N4007 or similar) with its cathode (banded end) connected to the switch in the power socket, and it's anode to the DC +ve. Since the DC supply from the mains unit is higher than that from the battery, this prevents the batteries running down when the mains lead is connected. This, of course, only works if there is adequate DC voltage when the radio is connected to the mains.
Closed Thread