UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2019, 9:48 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Grundig TK23 tape problem

I have replaced the belts on this model with new ones as the tape was playing slow and fast at times but still doing it there is nothing obstructing the tape path at all the only thing if I put light pressure on the pinch roller it seems ok for a while I have cleaned the roller any one can say if the roller is worn would it make the tape play sort of wobbly any help would be appreciated
Old 5th Feb 2019, 1:34 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Grundig TK23 tape problem

The pinch roller rubber may have gone hard (you should be able to temporarily indent the rubber with a fingernail and the rubber should instantly return to its original shape), is out of shape, its pressure on the tape and capstan is too low, or a combination of those.

It may be there is too much back tension (drag) on the tape, making it harder for the pinch roller and capstan to pull the tape at a constant speed.
It may be you are using a modern tape with stiction issues, which can also increase drag dramatically. Check the heads and guides under magnification and a strong light for waxy tape deposits which need to be removed and the offending tape(s) not played again unless treated first.

I'd check each of those possibilities. It may be more than one cause too.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 6:41 pm   #3
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Re: Grundig TK23 tape problem

Thank you will give it a go
Closed Thread