UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2008, 10:59 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Stagger Tuned AM IFs

Not sure if this should go here, or in the 'Components & Circuits' section, but, whilst repairing a Philips P3G38T Car/Portable radio Inoticed from the Makers Service Maual that the IFTs are peaked at 468Khz(L14),472Khz(L18), and 470Khz(L20-3rd IF/Detector). If I'm not mistaken this would result in a (-6dB)Bandwidth of ca. 13kHz, plus a 'lumpy' response with 3 peaks. The sensitivity/selectivity of this 40 year old radio is(are?)O.K., and I'm not about to adjust the IFTs.-I just wondered if anyone knows the reason for the staggered tuning 'cos I've forgotten (The fault by the way was the dreaded{haven't you guessed.....??}AF117s, especially the mixer/oscillator, all 3 of which have now been replaced with AF127s.)
Old 1st May 2008, 11:45 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Stagger Tuned AM IFs

It was done to give a wider frequency response curve and supposedly reduce the effects of feedback and give an overall softer tone. I don't know if this was another Philips oddity originally but I seem to recall coming across it on a Cossor a long time ago. That may, of course, been on a radio produced after Cossor came under Philips jurisdiction.

There is a brief mention of staggered tuning in post #8 of this thread.
Old 1st May 2008, 11:51 am   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Just found this whilst googling. I'm a bit rusty on this now so maybe someone else can elaborate.

'In the stagger-tuning method, the resonant frequencies of the various stages combine so that to- gether they pass the frequency band to be amplified. The product of each stage’s amplitude response curve forms the overall response curve'.

Rich.
Old 1st May 2008, 12:42 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Stagger Tuned AM IFs

Staggered IF's where also used to prevent microphony positive feedback between stages or howl-round which some early transistors where prone to, if the set was retuned to have all the same IF's it would start to howl.

Tuned coils should be left alone unless there is reason to retune them as they seldom go out of tune.

Geof
Old 1st May 2008, 12:46 pm   #5
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I think this is intended to get a wider passband but with the same sharp edge as a single tuned circuit with a narrow passband. The effect is to give good selectivity against adjacent stations but still give a good audio response.
Old 1st May 2008, 1:19 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Attached is an illustration of stagger tuning-

Dark blue is response of single circuit tuned to 500kHz
Green is single circuit tuned slightly lower
Red is single circuit tuned slightly higher

Olive green is 3 cascaded circuits all tuned to 500kHz
Light blue is 3 cascaded circuits tuned to slightly lower, 500kHz and slightly higher.

The overall effect is a response with a 6dB bandwidth for three staggered stages which is about the same as for one stage on its own, but with a much steeper roll off than the single stage would have.

Just what is stated much more succinctly in the previous post which beat me to it!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	response.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	16857  
Closed Thread