UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2007, 8:07 pm   #1
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dodgy Stripboard

Just a warning, the UK seems to have alot of cheap stuff around (ie not made by Vero) and some brands have adjacent tracks bridged by tiny threads of copper or tin plating. I'm not talking car-booty here but the stuff supplied by the main distributors we all know and love.

My last faulty batch had a shiny silver coating (I suppose ready-tinned) and though it was lovely to solder, I had to run my knife along each gap before all the shorts were cleared.

I hope you spot such potential disasters before you apply power!
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 8:15 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dodgy Stripboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbweiss View Post
I hope you spot such potential disasters before you apply power!
Maybe applying power before inserting the components would "mend" it?

I have also had some with the holes rather off-centre w.r.t. the tracks
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 9:07 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder if it's the dreaded tin whiskers which love to grow in lead free solder.
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 9:30 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have renamed this thread to "Dodgy Stripboard" since it is not the Vero manufactured product that is being discussed. I realise "Veroboard" has become a generic term for this type of product but when highlighting product defects it is best not to inadvertently suggest the wrong company.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread