UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2018, 10:56 pm   #41
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Pilot Little Maestro Pilot Lamp Conversion

The problem with using X capacitors as voltage droppers is the self-healing and consequent loss of capacitance. Every switch-on surge (a cold valve heater, or a discharged capacitor, is almost a dead short circuit) tends to weaken the capacitor a bit until eventually there is insufficient power available and the circuit begins to misbehave, requiring replacement of the capacitor.

The company I used to work for did some tests and found it was better just to use a standard 400 or 630V capacitor, with a fusible resistor to limit the switch-on surge.
Old 10th Oct 2018, 10:43 pm   #42
Sideband
Dekatron

What's happened to Kings? We still don't know for sure what the correct valve line-up is.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 3:25 am   #43
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
What's happened to Kings? We still don't know for sure what the correct valve line-up is.
The correct valve line-up was specified in entry #16.
I'm surprised that the # 21 post was so incorrect! I'm rather familiar with this valve line-up.
It seems that Brimar was the main supplier of the US type valves used in the British built radios.
This really was an informative and interesting thread!
Closed Thread