UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2007, 9:25 pm   #1
plaka78
Pentode

Default cleaning a dirty tuning capacitor

Hello Folks

Can anyone give me some tips on cleaning a dirty tuning capacitor with light corrosion

Tony
Old 20th Jul 2007, 8:37 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: cleaning a dirty tuning capacitor

Tony
Have a look here.
A search will get you quite a few threads on this subject. Denending what sort of capacitor it is it is usually necessary to dismantle it to clean and lube it properly.
Old 20th Jul 2007, 9:37 am   #3
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

I know people who " burn " these capacitors clean by give a relativ high voltage /amperage to the capacitor
The dirt is a low risistance shortcut between the plates and so becomes the only way tru and will burned away.
I've never done it myselves.The results I've read seem to be quitte good
Old 20th Jul 2007, 4:28 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: cleaning a dirty tuning capacitor

Yes, this is a question that I have frequently asked myself; the comments in the earlier Posts are useful.
However, I have occasionally wondered if an ultra-sonic bath would be OK for this job. Not that I own one - yet - but perhaps one day . . . just one day . . .

Any thoughts on this, chaps?

Al / Skywave / 20-07-07
Old 20th Jul 2007, 5:15 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

That will certainly clean it, Al. It will remove any lubricant, though, so you'll still have to take the rotor out for a proper job.
Old 26th Jul 2007, 12:17 am   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: cleaning a dirty tuning capacitor

Thanks Mike.
Lubricant, removal of: of course! I hadn't thought of that!

However, doing as you suggest is not (well, to me, anyway) an "informal" task - so suppose I simply add fresh lubricant to the bearings after such cleaning - thereby (hopefully) avoiding the hassle of a complete strip down and re-assemble? Or is this not practical? Would something like 3-in-1 oil be adequate? Or should I use some sort of special conductive grease?

As you can tell, I don't have much experience in doing exotic things like dismantling traditional moving-vane variable caps - I sense that this sort of activity will lead to grief: lost ball bearings, misaligned vanes, etc. and that all-too-familiar feeling of "why, oh why did I start this?

Regards,

Al / Skywave / 25-07-07 //
Old 26th Jul 2007, 7:50 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Al
I would use grease, rather than oil, on the usual sort of tuning gang (ball race at the front and single ball at the back). There is quite a bit of pressure on these bearings and thin oil is not really adequate. 3-in-1 also tends to creep everywhere, as it is intended to.

It is not too difficult to remove the rotor; just make sure it is wide open (minimum capacitance) so the vanes are not caught, and do the job on something like a tray so the balls don't fall on the floor, never to be seen again.

It's a good opportunity to clean and tension the earthing springs.

When you reassemble it, close it up and adjust the vane spacing equally by eye with a loupe; it may or may not need RF realignment, but that's no big deal.
Old 26th Jul 2007, 8:36 am   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
However, I have occasionally wondered if an ultra-sonic bath would be OK for this job. Not that I own one - yet - but perhaps one day . . . just one day . . .

Any thoughts on this, chaps?

Al / Skywave / 20-07-07
I have used an ultrasonic bath to good effect on other components. Even if you don't have the correct cleaning fluid, de-ionised water with a drop of methylated spirits in does the trick. Or if you have a small amount of cleaning fluid, put the cap. in a sealed polythene bag in the DI tank-water.

Have you considered removing all non-metallic parts and boiling it in water for twenty mins, followed by immediate lubrication? I mentioned in another post that I've had success with this method on telephone dials. Different metal, though, so take care...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread