UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2007, 11:07 am   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default RAP 646 help and advice

Hi,

I've attached a picture of the dial glass from my RAP 646.

The cut out, to go around the tuning mechanism, looks crude and isn't really hidden by the tuning knob. Is this glass original?

The cover for the bottom of the cabinet is missing. It'll have to be added to the other parts I need to make, so has anybody got a photo and/or dimensions of it?

Many thanks
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dial.jpg (105.3 KB, 143 views)
Old 25th Apr 2007, 11:33 am   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: RAP 646 help and advice

Hello David, yes, that dial glass is original, the glass on mine is the same, albeit rougher cut than yours. When cutting glass, it is near impossible to cut sharp internal right angles with a conventional cutter, so these areas are "ground-out".
Regards the base cover, it just consists of a plywood panel that is cut and radiused to fit the opening, it is no more elaborate than that really.
Neil
Old 25th Apr 2007, 11:52 am   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply

Does the bottom cover have any ventilation holes?

Thanks
David
Old 25th Apr 2007, 12:59 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

Hello Dave, no, the bottom cover is just plain ply, the set just relies on ventilation from the rear. I will check shortly when I go home to lunch, I will let you know if there is anything special with the panel.
Neil
Old 3rd May 2007, 2:31 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I'm having to fit a non original speaker but I want to paint it so it look as 'original' as possible.

To help me can somebody post a picture of the proper speaker and one of the Rola transfer please

Thanks
David
Old 10th Jun 2007, 3:36 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

The three speaker frets have one end that is slightly fatter, should the fatter ends be up or down? My radio only had two frets, one was up and the other down

David
Old 27th Jun 2007, 3:42 pm   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

The radio is almost finished so all previous questions are irrelevant now, but I still have just one more to ask .

I've put on the tuning knob but it's sticking out from the cabinet by 9/32" and looks a bit odd . It could fit closer, but the mechanism within the knob fouls and the tuning pointer won't quite do the 180 degree rotation.

Is the tuning knob supposed to stick out this far?

Thanks
David
Old 28th Jun 2007, 12:12 am   #8
ianj
Heptode

My 646 has the same gap on the tuning knob to the cabinet, so I presume its normal.......................................you will find that it is a SUPERB radio set, with excellent "station-getting" powers! ianj
Closed Thread