UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2007, 8:26 pm   #1
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Default Cossor 464 Celluloid scale cover

Can someone help please:-
The cover over the dial is made of celluloid, its shrunk a bit but its lugs still engage the cabinet. However its got a 3 or 4 small (2-3 mm) cracks on the top and bottom edges towards the middle. This has caused it to adopt a vertical bend. As this has a lip all the way round I cant easily flatten it. Even if I could, it would go back to its bent shape without doing something about the cracks.
I had thought of gluing two pieces of hard wire top and bottom to get the celluloid to hold its (old) shape. What glue should I use - I dont want to end up dissolving it - a replacement might be difficult to comeby and making one to the required shape virtually impossible.
Thanks
Tony
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 8:06 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor 464 Celluloid scale cover

Tony
If it is celluloid (cellulose acetate), you can make cement by dissolving shreds of celluloid in acetone (cellulose thinners).
You can get this from Autopaint - franchises all over UK. Unfortunately only in 5 litre cans - maybe it's scrounge time and a visit to the local body shop.

Any effective plastics glue will actually dissolve the parent material, even at just a molecular level, or it would not work.
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 2:59 pm   #3
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Default Re: Cossor 464 Celluloid scale cover

Mike
Thank you for the advice - I'll try some heat first to see if I can 'reset' its shape.
Tony
Closed Thread