UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 29th Dec 2017, 10:58 am   #541
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: 405-Line VHF Aerials 2013 to the present day.

Nine aerials. I don't think the chimney stack would have taken nine masts.

These are just light weight UHF types. I well remember Dad's laughter as we passed through Bedford and Northamptonshire on our way to Thornaby on Tees.

The chimney stacks were absolutely loaded with television aerials. It really was an incredible site. Box three element band 1 and more than one to a chimney plus the band 3's of the mid 50's. You sometimes catch a glimpse in an old film but it would be great to see a real life photo.

Maybe we should start another thread for UHF aerials but it might be a bit boring. They all look the same! [Well almost] John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2017, 11:53 am   #542
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I had a load of ham radio antennas on mine - until I got a tower. There was a house at Axmouth near Seaton that was almost completely covered in ham aerials, wish I had taken a picture of it, all gone now.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2017, 2:10 pm   #543
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Nine aerials. I don't think the chimney stack would have taken nine masts..
Landlord was clearly missing an opportunity! Put up one antenna and install a distribution-amplifier/splitter setup. Rent up by £1 a week. 9 flats, that's £450/year - easily covers the install-cost of one-antenna-and-distribution-amplifier in the first year; subsequent years are pure profit!
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2017, 9:28 pm   #544
eddie_ce
Hexode

Re Post 536

Could the rather symmetrically arranged upper yagis be a stacked and bayed array? The top left yagi seems to have what looks like a phasing harness, or am I barking up the wrong mast/tree here?
eddie_ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Dec 2017, 12:27 am   #545
Refugee
Dekatron

I very much doubt that they are any kind of array.
The entire estate has been refurbished since the photo in post 536 was taken.
The new aerials on that block are now not visible from the street view camera.
The replacement aerials post refurbishment make it obvious that they are all wired to individual flats as can be seen on another block in the same estate.
It is not in a part of town I visit on a regular basis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerials171.png
Views:	315
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	154666  
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2018, 12:29 pm   #546
nigelr2000
Heptode

Out at the Market in North Walsham today. Lived here some 17 years and only today spotted a VHF aerial on one of the town centre buildings, it looks band 3 to me, the UHF is pointing at Tacolnston so assume the VHF one is from there as well as they line up. I lived in Wiltshire when VHF was around so I don't know what the local transmitters where.

It was the market inspectors fault as we had stopped to chat to him, he thought I was mad as I grabbed my phone to take a picture, asked me what have you spotted, I said an old VHF TV aerial, a strange look followed both from him and the wife, they just don't understand do they hee hee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180111_095817.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	155301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_095825.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	155302  
nigelr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2018, 1:40 pm   #547
Brigham
Octode

That's a similar arrangement to the combined Ch5/Ch8 once seen throughout the Durham coalfield.
Would it be Ch3/Ch11?
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2018, 2:46 pm   #548
emeritus
Dekatron

Ch 3/Ch 11 looks possible for East Anglia: Tacolneston and Mendelsham, both Horizontal polarisation. Extract from the 1966 Wireless World diary attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV TX WWdiary _1966 .jpg
Views:	203
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	155303  
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2018, 4:54 pm   #549
SteveCG
Nonode

Re: post no 533

G6Tanuki, I don't disagree with your thoughts may I just add one other:

The particular design of junction box used by Antiference for their Band I aerials had a water ingress shortcoming. I wonder then whether the fact that the 'horizontal thing with two feeders' is connected across the element retaining bolts shows that the original internal connections had corroded? Mind you, the Band III aerial (or what is left of it) is a definite Antiference Tru-match design with 'rotaclick' element holders, so the chances are that both aerials were both put up at the same time; in which case my speculation fails ! (I myself have never seen such a set-up as your 'photo shows)
SteveCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2018, 12:35 am   #550
Oliver35
Pentode

That one's a cracker- I keep looking out for old aerials here, but don't seem to see anything other than the occasional FM aerial. I keep toying with the idea of putting a Band I aerial back on my chimney, as I don't watch TV and so have no need for a modern one. It too would have to point to Tacolneston, but I always felt they didn't look quite 'right' with horizontal polarisation..

Oliver
Oliver35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2018, 1:13 am   #551
michamoo
Hexode

I always think they look odd when mounted vertically. I suppose its just what you are used to seeing everyday around you when growing up
Old 12th Jan 2018, 2:03 pm   #552
SteveCG
Nonode

... of course anybody living near Cambridge in the late 60's had a profusion of vertical and horizontal TV aerials to feast their eyes upon...

CH B1 V., CH B9 V. (both towards London)
CH B3 H. (towards Tacolneston), B11 H. (towards Mendlesham)
CH B5 H. (towards Peterborough)
CH B2 H. (towards Cambridge Gasometer), CH B6 H. (towards Sandy Heath)

..."more dipoles than you can shake a stick at"...
Old 13th Jan 2018, 3:39 pm   #553
SteveCG
Nonode

Re post no. 552:

I forgot that a little to the north of Cambridge the transmissions from Belmont were possible in later times, ie CH B7 V. and CH B13 V.

... so even more visual choice! ...
Old 13th Jan 2018, 5:23 pm   #554
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver35 View Post
I keep toying with the idea of putting a Band I aerial back on my chimney, as I don't watch TV and so have no need for a modern one. It too would have to point to Tacolneston, but I always felt they didn't look quite 'right' with horizontal polarisation..

Oliver
A 3- or 5-element centred around 50MHz? Plenty still available to serve the needs of us amateurs!

http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/Prod...oductid=A50-3S

[My last BI TV antenna was a 5-element made by gaffer-taping 2.5mm T&E building-cabling to bamboo canes. Worked surprisingly well!]
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2018, 7:59 pm   #555
Stuart R
Heptode

Just found these snaps on my computer, I took them in Letchworth Town Centre last year whilst the aerials were getting a good shaking from storm Doris. I thought the loose dipole was about to be blown off, but it's still there and appears to have been hanging there for quite some time. It features on our Town's website from 2016.

http://loveletchworth.com/whats-on/

The other mast with a UHF aerial clamped to it, used to belong to a TV shop. I don't remember it as such, but the gift shop that followed had all the carpeted flaps in the walls with mains and aerial points hidden behind.

SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	156611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	156612  
Stuart R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 1:12 am   #556
Peter.N.
Dekatron

When I lived in Kent I could stand in my workshop with a 5 element band 3 aerial and get two stations on Ch 11 by changing direction polarisation and direction, vertical for Chillerton down IOW and horizontal for Mendlesham.

Sometimes I could get a picture on every band 3 channel including a BBC test card from Wales on ch 13.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 11:42 am   #557
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver35 View Post
I keep toying with the idea of putting a Band I aerial back on my chimney.Oliver
Not exactly on the house but it looks the part. It is fully wired and terminated in my 'service dept'. It only picks up ignition interference now but you never know. When that cloud bursts you may have to dig out your TV22s.

I have a friend north of the border that still sits around his flickering Pye V4 in the hope that Kirk O Shotts on channel 3 will come back on the screen. He won't have it that normal service will never be resumed.

Do you remember when the public, were confronted by an odd shaped metal object, asked 'but will it pick up BBC2?' The metal object on the other end of the garage does not fall into this category.

These pictures are of historic interest. Many I have posted over the years have vanished. A magnificent example of a box 10 band 3 and band 1 H is under threat at a recently closed pub in Dorking. If they put scaffolding up I will make some inquiries. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	156631  
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2018, 12:41 pm   #558
AdamAnalogue
Retired Dormant Member

Growing up in a village north west of Leeds in the 1970s, most houses had 3 tv aerials. One was UHF for BBC-2 initially (from Emley Moor UHF), one was a large X, vertically polarised, and one was a smaller aerial similar to the UHF one. Holme Moss (BBC-1) would have been channel 2V and Emley Moor (Yorkshire Television) channel 10V.

The large X aerials always fascinated me. Would they have been for the band III channel 10V transmissions, and the smaller VHF aerial for band I channel 2V? Or t'other way round?
AdamAnalogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2018, 6:36 pm   #559
akuram1
Pentode

The X was band one.
akuram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 8:01 pm   #560
ntscuser
Hexode

Northumberland Avenue, Coventry, the X is missing one of its elements. I remember these were good enough to pick up Channel 8 from Lichfield so a separate Band III aerial wasn't really necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180509_171530.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	162524