UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2019, 9:23 pm   #1
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Opposite to subscribing to a thread.

If you like a thread you can subscribe to it.

What to do if you really do not like a thread? I don't want to report it or comment on it in any way.
I just want to stop seeing it appear in the listings as if it was never there.

Can it be done please?
Old 27th Dec 2019, 9:36 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Opposite to subscribing to a thread.

Hi,

you can unsubscribe by going to 'UserCP', then click on 'view all subscribed threads' on the right of the screen, then tick the box at the end of the thread you want rid of, also on the right hand side, then scroll down to the bottom, where there is a box which is a drop down menu labelled 'selected threads', change it to 'delete subscription' then click 'go', that should stop you recieving updates from it, and it won't appear in your user control panel any more.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 27th Dec 2019, 9:44 pm   #3
paulsherwin

There is no way to stop seeing particular threads altogether, though obviously you don't need to read them.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 4:58 am   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
What to do if you really do not like a thread? I don't want to report it or comment on it in any way. I just want to stop seeing it appear in the listings as if it was never there.
Ah, party games at Christmas

Is it the Audiophoolery Thread?

B
Old 28th Dec 2019, 10:52 am   #5
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

No it's not that one but I understand why you might think so.
I was minded by the post about being cautious with replies over Christmas.

One thread was raising the blood pressure and it was all too tempting to post something that might later be regretted. Much better to hide it and forget all about it.

If it can't be done then 2nd best is not to read it - that's quite hard actually. Must be human nature.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 12:20 pm   #6
lesmw0sec
Octode

The mods. do a pretty good job at removing twaddle or off-topic stuff. You only have to observe some of the newsnet groups to see what can happen otherwise!
Old 28th Dec 2019, 12:39 pm   #7
paulsherwin

You can of course report posts to the mods if you feel they are objectionable. The mods may not agree with you, but it makes it clear to them that some members are becoming upset for whatever reason.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 1:17 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I find it best just to leave the computer alone for a bit, and do something more productive like pottering in the workshop!
Old 28th Dec 2019, 3:05 pm   #9
Red to black
Nonode

What a strange request, I won't press on which thread you mean though.
Personally I find this site very tightly and well moderated, more than most in fact. There are very few, if any, really objectionable posts on here, sure sometimes there may be things posted I might disagree with, same as most people here I imagine.

I find real life day to day problems we all have to deal with much more pressing and important than things posted on a website, especially one such as this that doesn't allow personal slander/derogatory remarks or any other ad hominem attacks or bullying etc....etc.
Just bite lip and take a deep breath, ignore, move on and enjoy the rest of the forum, life is too short.

Last edited by Red to black; 28th Dec 2019 at 3:14 pm.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 8:32 pm   #10
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I totally agree the mods do very well at a very difficult job.

The thought was put in mind by the warning about inappropriate things which tend to be said over the christmas period. 24 hour bans etc.

It would be much easier to hide something you were tempted to make a reply to but decided against. As more gets added to such threads there they are again and the temptation is back.

I only asked the question to see if it was possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zip.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	196002  
Old 28th Dec 2019, 8:45 pm   #11
Red to black
Nonode

Just say what is on your mind Jon let rip , say you were PiXXed and that you are sorry, take your 24 Hr ban and rest easy

Ps. didn't mean that seriously just before I get banned myself

Last edited by Red to black; 28th Dec 2019 at 9:06 pm.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 10:09 pm   #12
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Heheh that made me laugh!

On one forum I resigned since I hit the same glaring technical error time and again. Eventually I left them all to it because they were just deluding themselves justifying the same.

Now, since I am unable to post, I still read as a guest. I'm a stupid glutton for punishment but I'm safe...because I can't post.

Maybe it's possible to see why I was seeking a middle way?
Old 28th Dec 2019, 10:11 pm   #13
paulsherwin

Yes, if in doubt post and we will deal with it Don't be surprised if your post disappears though.

Nobody is going to be banned because they are genuinely upset by something and post in the heat of the moment. Obviously we expect people to post with courtesy though.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 10:31 pm   #14
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Yes of course...many thanks Paul. I hope you can understand my direction of travel all the same.

If you are tempted to be -Ve or controversial about it, it might be better to bury it and not be reminded by it.

I get far too much back from this forum to ever consider resigning. What a great place. I hope I can give back some proportion of what I gain.

Best for 2020. Maybe this thread is better closed now?
Old 28th Dec 2019, 11:01 pm   #15
Red to black
Nonode

The whole thread might be better being deleted altogether mods permitting
Old 29th Dec 2019, 12:01 am   #16
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Opposite to subscribing to a thread.

If a particular member finds that one or more other members have a particular style which you find irritating, you can easily avoid getting so annoyed by arranging for that member (or members) to be 'ignored'. That can be arranged in your 'User CP / Edit Ignore List'. That way, when you open any thread of interest, if that member / those members have contributed to that thread, their post/s will not appear, but you will still be able to read other posts. Thus, when you open that thread to read its contents, you won't get annoyed. (Your selected 'ignored' member/s can easily be 'de-ignored' by again using the same 'User CP / Edit Ignore List').

Al.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 2:04 pm   #17
slidertogrid
Octode

The two things I find slightly irritating is when a member posts without reading the thread, so you get the same advice twice or more. I am surprised there is not more 'Which is what I said' replies to threads .

The problem with "ignoring" members and thereby not seeing what they have posted is that you run the risk of stating what has already been said and making yourself look a bit of an idiot...

I just don't read threads which I have no interest in and cease to reply to and read threads when the advice is ignored.

However I sometimes feel advice is sometimes not so much ignored as not understood!
(This is the second thing I find irritating)
When a newcomer who is obviously not familiar with terminology and needs a slow methodical approach to the work they need to do is getting such advice and then someone comes steaming in with a highly technical reply that only a qualified experienced engineer would understand. This usually puts the original poster off as they feel either that the project is beyond them or worse they feel they are made to look stupid or thick.
When a member askes a simple question about restoration there is little point in giving a technical comprehensive reply about the whole job as it is just going to put them off..
They then cease to post and the thread grinds to a halt..

Nothing to be done about it though it's no good letting things annoy you its a case of being selective about what you read!
Old 29th Dec 2019, 2:24 pm   #18
paulsherwin

The forum being what is is, there will inevitably be people signing up with varying levels of cluelessness. Some members are better at dealing with these newbies than others, as some people are naturally good teachers and others aren't. If I find myself becoming exasperated or irritated I stop contributing to the thread in question and just monitor it for moderation purposes. Nobody is absolutely entitled to help here - we aren't the emergency services.

If anybody finds themselves getting seriously worked up by any issue, they should just take a step back and take a deep breath. This is just an internet forum and there are much more important things in life.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 2:25 pm   #19
Red to black
Nonode

There in lies the rub though Rich, where do we draw the line ? do we give a detailed post that resembles a volume of war an peace on every post ? teaching granny to suck eggs and assume everyone is thick?

It would be easier if the person requesting help asked for clarification of anything they didn't quite understand, there is no such question as a daft question after all.

I have to admit to being guilty of providing much too technical help in the past, just yesterday in fact (see Samsung thread up top in the TV section).
This is not deliberate, just a lot of us are used to asking other engineers for help on occasion and assume the person only needs minimal guidance and not explaining how to do the entire task from beginning to end.

We (perhaps wrongly) assume that most people on such technical sites as this can at least use a multimeter and can solder, Where this is clearly not the case then most of us advise them to seek the help of someone local who can.

We all had to start somewhere and I have never ever tried to make someone feel stupid or thick in any event, after all we have all needed help at one time or other.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 4:04 pm   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Paul is the font of wisdom. Originally this Forum seemed to be a pure enthusiasts retreat but the "retro boom" changed things to a certain extent, in the same way that Radiograms you couldn't give away can now represent cash. No problem with that but there's often a bit of a different environment or expectation abroad now. A little bit of caution doesn't go amiss and too much info can be counter productive. Overall, I think it's still a great and supportive community/resource Many of us males are of a certain age when it's stereotypical to be irritated. I try to avoid meeting other peoples expectation that I will do a Victor Meldrew impersonation but often fail miserably

Dave W

Try to avoid responding with "I don't believe it!"
Closed Thread