UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2020, 4:02 pm   #1

Default Long theme tunes at the end of a radio programme

I have been listening to "The Toff On The Farm" (BBC 1977) and noticed that the end of show theme tune lasts a few minutes. I have also noticed this on another programme from the same era. Was this done a lot in the 70's?

Old 12th Jul 2020, 5:03 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Long theme tunes at the end of a radio programme

I don't remember the series, but I was never one for radio drama. I wonder if the theme tune was written by Denis King? It has a similar drum beat to "Galloping Home".

None of the Youtube clips have the extended music you describe, but that might be deliberate copyright strike avoidance.
Can you supply a link?
Old 12th Jul 2020, 5:23 pm   #3
Station X

"Down payment on death" which was broadcast last Sunday had similarly long theme tunes. The effect was heightened as the episodes were aired back to back.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 6:27 pm   #4

Quote:
"Down payment on death"
Yes, that was the other programme. I thought it rather good.

Old 12th Jul 2020, 7:39 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I wonder if the programmes were recorded with the full piece of closing music to avoid silence if the following programme was late in starting. I remember that, in the late 1950's, the "Archers" closing music usually finished early, but on at least one lunchtime broadcast I heard almost the entire piece. Perhaps the youtube pieces were recorded off-air.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 10:39 pm   #6
Richard_FM
Octode

Were the credits announced over the end theme?

I did wonder if the longer closing music was to allow for an announcer do this live.

It's possible the master copies had the whole piece of music recorded onto them, but normally it was faded down early unless there was some sort of gap to be filled.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 11:51 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

The program may have been made with a view to selling it off to a commercial station later where the space would be filled with adverts.
I can remember it the opposite way round where a program originally shown live was recorded and shown over night here in the UK when TV first went 24 hour.
When watching the time shifted footage there were regular bits where the American presenters were talking about what they were going to be doing later in the day and so on.
It gave me a feel for just how many adverts they have on the other side of the ocean.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 7:39 am   #8
MurphyNut
Heptode

I've noticed that in general theme music on Radio as well as TV is much reduced compared to some years ago.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:39 am   #9
BristolHoxa
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
The program may have been made with a view to selling it off to a commercial station later where the space would be filled with adverts.
That's right - often programmes for export are trimmed to, say, 26'30. Round the Horne, Hancock and so on had themes to make up near the half hour for PBS stations and suchlike without ads. Fadeouts halfway through were inserted too and noted on cue sheets.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 12:41 pm   #10
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The original need for playouts was simply to accomodate speed drift on reproducing equipment, whether tape or disc. Now, with digital techniques, airtime can be spliced to the second, and frequently is.
Closed Thread