UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2020, 4:07 pm   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default VGA properties

Hello All,
Can I extract RGB signals from a laptop and inject them into a scart input on a hard drive recorder? I appreciate a lot of machines only have composite video in but mine does both. The two pins that confused me are the h and v sync connections but someone told me they are nothing to do with the video side of things. Thanks anyone.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 4:12 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: VGA properties

Short answer is no, because the frame rate for PC VGA is much higher than for standard definition TV.

The H and V sync signals output from the VGA port would have to be combined into a single composite sync signal to feed into the composite sync / composite video input on the HDD recorder.

You can get intelligent electronic adaptor / converters which take in one format and output it as another, but you won't be able to do it with 'just a cable' with the 'right plugs' on each end.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 4:16 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

This is the kind of thing you are looking for, first randomly found example, not a personal reccmmendation as I have not tried one myself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163841817389
Old 7th Jun 2020, 5:54 pm   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

Cheers both, I didn't think the signal would straight forward as composite video and l\r audio, but I will look at the adapter issue. Sorry, different posts from same sender. SORTED
Old 7th Jun 2020, 7:59 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If you're looking at an already-digital video-signal on the laptop, to me it would seem stupid to downconvert it to an analog-signal for 're-capture' on a downstream recorder - this can only result in loss-of-quality.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 8:25 pm   #6
paulsherwin

While that's true, authoring DVDs from various digital video formats is a nontrivial job, especially for small quantities given the learning curve involved. People with limited expertise in this area will generally find it easier to feed an analogue signal into a DVD recorder. The quality reduction won't be obvious at standard definition.
Old 13th Jun 2020, 9:48 pm   #7
Kyle__B
Banned

Many VGA chips will do 576i but no drivers are going to offer it by default becuase it's not useful for normal PC monitors.

There's programs that can force it, depends all on what graphics chips your computer has.
Old 18th Jun 2020, 11:48 am   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

What about the audio, is that also needed on the TV?
It could maybe be wired with a separate audio cable.
Mike
Closed Thread