UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2021, 7:06 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default TR82 reassembly

Quite some time ago I dismantled an TT82c, cleaned it up nicely and got it working. Then it stopped working and I was stumped and so it sat safely packed away for quite some time.

Then, with some help, it got back into a working state and now I want to reassemble it.

Thing is I have mislaid the screws, so first question is where I would get replacements?

Second question is whether there is a simple reassembly guide? I tried placing the chassis back in place just to see how it lined up but it didnt seem quite right. Of course I need the screws first, but when I do I want to put it together in one go and be done with it!
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 7:28 pm   #2
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Re: TR82 reassembly

Hi Martin

Is this the Bush TR82C if it is the manufacture assy detail is on the Radio Service Data CD available at the top right of this page.

As for the screws, they are either self tap ones or 4BA type

Ken
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 11:20 am   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Ken.

I think I already have the service data on hard copy (from here) and didn't think to look there. I almost don't want to look as it surely shouldn't be beyond me to put it back together using my skill and judgement

The lesson I've learnt here is to put things back together at the time. I've managed to pack everything really well except, it seems, the screws.

Martin
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 2:40 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...or take loads of photos as you dismantle
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 2:51 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

That as well. Although I would have thought that this was one of the simpler radios to put back together.

I'd have been better off doing a video of where I stored the screws.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 4:04 pm   #6

Given that it will probably be in a benign environment any small screws that just grip in the holes will be fine, just enough to stop it falling apart. This isn't mass manufacture or "throw it off the back of a van" stuff.

Old 3rd Mar 2021, 6:45 pm   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

I think I am getting somewhere with this. On closer inspection I think whatever the chassic screws screwed in have broken off. I'd like to think it wasnt me that did that. I can be clumsy but not four times I a row.

Does anyone have a photo of the inside showing what should be there for mounting the chassis?

Failing that I may take inspiration from Merlins post above, knowing it's not quite what he meant, and carefully bodge some screws into what remains of the mounting bits. It would be the sort of thing that would work and yet when seen by someone else in years to come, questioned!
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 7:25 pm   #8
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Martin

You could always send the whole thing to me and I will put it to rights. Us old Marconi people learnt how to make use of what we had and not what we could get hold of.

Regards

Ken
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 7:31 pm   #9
Martin Bush
Octode

That is a fabulous offer and I may take you up on it. I made a good job of cleaning it up (I think) and it only sat so long after it stopped working. I'd clipped the screen leads on the transistors to bring it back to life, then it stopped. Turns out it was a mucky switch!

I will be in touch via PM.