UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2021, 10:39 pm   #21
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: Rear exit 13A plugs

Just remembered that there was a duraplug weatherproof cable coupler based around 13A sockets and it seems MK also sold it. Found a set on the bay, though looking around you might just be available to find the plug on it's own,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCP133-BL...D/233760510247

I got given one many moons ago and it would happily take normal flex diameters and the plug fits in regular sockets just fine.
Old 1st Mar 2021, 4:50 pm   #22
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Just out of interest, merlinmaxwell, what brand of sockets do you have?

Some cheaper DIY store own-brands are made from pretty thin, flimsy materials, as I'm sure you know.

I'd choose MK or Crabtree if I were you, or even Volex, they're not too bad. They're much sturdier, although the quality of MK accessories is a bit hit-and-miss these days

Peter.
Old 1st Mar 2021, 5:57 pm   #23

They are MK now (originally Legrand, we were poor!) and I am glad I secured the back boxes well! To be honest it has only happened four times in the past few years. I have terminated the vacuum cleaner lead in an IEC "kettle" plug and that is connected to a generic moulded IEC lead. I tried it, the IEC lead lines up when the vacuum lead is pulled and comes apart in a controlled manner, probably not designed for a hot disconnect too many times, much better than breaking a socket.

Old 2nd Mar 2021, 11:00 am   #24
Brigham
Octode

I seem to remember BS1363 specifying a bottom-entry plug.
Although it could be just another false memory...
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 2:09 pm   #25
emeritus
Dekatron

Side entry was specified in Home Office requirements more than 100 years ago, although these were only advisory. These requirements are referred to in the GEC catalogue of 1911 without actually providing a reference number to any statutory specificaton. A note on one of the pages of GEC's "Home Office Pattern" plugs says:

" The plugs here illustrated are all provided with a registered form of hand shield and handle, whereby the flexible cord in no case passes through the hand of the user, thus rendering personal injury impossible even if the Plug is inserted on a dead short, neither is it possible to withdraw the Plug by pulling the flexible cord. The plug is withdrawn by using the handle protected by the shield.

Our efforts in designing this series of Wall Plugs have been greatly aided by the particularly clear and concise manner in which the objectionable features of the present types and the desirable modifications are set forth in the Annual Report of the Electrical Inspector of Factories, G. Scott Ram, Esq. (see Annual Report of the Chief Inspector of Factories and Workshops for the year 1909, pages 183 and 184). " {emphasis in the original.}

I did try to find a copy of this report a few years ago. If it does still exist, it seems it would be in the Public Records archive at Kew, and would involve a personal visit to look through the paper document collection. One for my bucket list!

GEC did also offer a somewhat wider range of top entry plugs at lower prices, in which the cord did pass through the hand of the user.

Last edited by emeritus; 2nd Mar 2021 at 2:32 pm. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 2:28 pm   #26
Nicola_Jayne
Tetrode

Seen a very elegant solution to this issue using CEE7/7 Schuko plugs on a powered profiling hospital bed.

The bed regardless of its intended (230V) market comes with a Schuko /CEE 7/7 plug which is 'rear exit', as is the norm for those, when sold into the UK/ ROI market it comes with a short (300 mm) patch lead BS1363 to CEE7/7 inline socket.

So much as the suggestions of the lawnmower or kettle plugs inline, if you don't unplug before pulling the bed away from the bed head unit it pings the Schuko apart.
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 2:34 pm   #27
Beobloke
Heptode

Sounds like a Furutech FI-1363 will be perfect for this.

However, make sure you’re sitting down before you read the price as it belongs firmly in the ‘Audiophoolery’ thread!

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/furutec...SABEgItwvD_BwE
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 5:52 pm   #28

IEC thing done, she comes on Friday, I wonder...

I tested it at various angles and as expected, works a treat. The last incident was hoovering the cable, sense prevailed and it wasn't used after the cores became visible. 50m drum of twin flex got from Toolstation, enough for a few repairs. I like Toolstation, a sort of polite Screwfix, here we have both down the same dead end road, worth the extra hundred yards or so (even on foot). A good Sunday walk to get stuff too (five mile circular route, seven if I include two nature reserves).

Last edited by Guest; 2nd Mar 2021 at 6:03 pm. Reason: Added testing

Old 2nd Mar 2021, 11:24 pm   #29
Lancs Lad
Heptode

This 'lady who does' of yours sounds like a real character!

I'm amazed you let her come into the house, knowing what havoc she is likely to wreak.

Imagine running over the vacuum cable enough to chop up the outer covering, and expose the inner cores. Surely that takes some doing!

What model of vacuum do you have? My current one is the Vax Air, Lift Off, Steerable Pet model. I bought it in September 2019, after the electrician who rewired my house knackered my previous one hoovering up lumps of plaster - but that's a whole other story...

My elderly Great Auntie used to have a cleaning lady who, when she was vacuuming the stairs (with a 1950s Hoover Senior that weighed a ton) always sang Red Sails In The Sunset, at the top of her (very good) voice. It was priceless! I think she liked the acoustics of the stairwell...

There's something very sweet and comforting about cleaning ladies, if you know what I mean? Sort of quintessentially English, and nostalgic...

I hope you don't let her dust any fragile, breakable valuables!

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 2nd Mar 2021 at 11:49 pm.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 12:10 am   #30
matthewhouse
Octode

You could treat her to a nice new cordless vacuum cleaner, some of them work impressively well!
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 12:16 am   #31
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Rear exit 13A plugs

Hi,
The nearest thing I have is this BS 1363 13 amp 'Duraplug' in-line connector.
I don't know if they're still available. A bit fiddly to fit, but fused with a cable grip. It fits any standard socket and does not foul the switch dolly.
I also had a BS546 5 amp version and, I'm not certain, there might even have been a BS546 15 amp one as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13A rubber connector (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	228129   Click image for larger version

Name:	13A rubber connector.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	228130  
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 12:41 am   #32
matthewhouse
Octode

They are still current MK Duraplug products:
CCP53BLK - 5A round pin plug and trailing socket
CCP153BLK - 15A round pin plug and trailing socket
CCP133PBLK - 13A square pin plug, a trailing socket doesn't seem to be listed in the current catalogue.
Closed Thread