UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2019, 8:24 am   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Linn Kairn circuit diagrams

Hi all. I’ve recently been having some problems with my Kairn preamp. A mismatch in levels between it and a Leak Troughline Stereo plus an intermittent fault when turning on. During the experimenting with the Troughline I had it connected to my system via a patchbay (the Kairn that is). Because at that time I couldn’t turn it off because of a start up problem, I was trying different patches when I inadvertently fed the Kairn with a large feedback signal! .
The result of which took out three of the four record out channels. Line in is fine. Tape recorder 1 only has an output on the left channel. Tape recorder 2 has no output on either channel.

That is my problem. I’ve sorted the on/off problem. I want to repair the tape circuits now. Unfortunately, I can’t get hold of any diagrams. I’ve tried Linn themselves plus two dealers. Non of whom want to know or help. They don’t support the Kairn any more, which is fair enough bearing in mind it’s age. But neither will they release any drawings so I can repair it myself!

So, is there anyone out there who would have a copy stashed away they would be prepared to share, or can you point me in the direction of where to start looking? I would be grateful of any help offered. It’s a nice amp and I don’t want to send it to the tip.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 9:10 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Linn Kairn circuit diagrams

Faced with that level of support, I suppose you either trace it out yourself or it is the tip... unless someone has already done it?

I wonder what possible reason there is for secrecy over a discontinued and out-of-support product? Makes them no better than Bose (I'll try that phrase on an ex-Linn, ex-Bose employee later today!)

Compare and contrast with some highly reputable companies who make a repository of service manuals available for out of production products.

Good luck!

David
Old 15th Apr 2019, 10:39 am   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Mystique protection? It'll be interesting to discover what an ex-employee is willing/able to say.

Alan
Old 15th Apr 2019, 10:56 am   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Russ Andrews do a Kairn upgrade. That is not the point - it's just that they are really helpful guys, and must have the Kairn schematics and/or service manual.

Phone them up and ask - Either John Armer or Simon Dalton. You could even say "Craig Sawyers suggested you might be able to help"

Craig
Old 15th Apr 2019, 1:19 pm   #5
wd40addict
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Compare and contrast with some highly reputable companies who make a repository of service manuals available for out of production products.
Trouble is this is fast becoming the norm HP/Agilent/Keysight won't release the schematics of my HP8648 generator for instance, even though it's now out of support. They want you to buy a new generator, not have you fix your old one!

Linn's attitude seems rather in contrast to Quad and Naim who will at least service old equipment even if the latter doesn't release any service info.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 3:51 pm   #6
Linnovice
Hexode

Hi WD, that would seem to be a reasonable idea set up by accountants and marketing departments. But, do these wallys ever take into account customer loyalty. Who in their right mind is going to lay out considerable sums to change/upgrade their equipment knowing full well that built in obsolescence and lack of support is going to be the end game?
Up until recent times I was very supportive of Linn products from LP12 with mods through Kairn, Karik, Kudos, Linto, LK100’s and Kabers. All with cables and accessories. All in all I’ve spent a few £’s with them. Their current attitude towards us as clients is deplorable and arrogant. I for one will never spend another penny with them and as word of mouth is the most fruitful of advertising, neither will any of my friends.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 10:09 am   #7
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

I don't know the copyright position of the circuit for posting on the forum, however if you pm me your email address I will send it to you. Norman
Old 16th Apr 2019, 1:42 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Brilliant, Norman.

I mentioned the Bose/Linn similarity to an ex-employee of both and he laughed 'Typical arrogance@ was his remark and that eventually people would see their stuff as unsupported junk.

David