UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2019, 11:39 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Octode

Default Using Canned Air For Removing Dust

Recently I've had to clean a lot of dust & fluff out of 2 devices, mostly using the suggested method of a clean paintbrush.

This has been useful, but sometimes I've not been able to get into some tight spots with it.

I did wonder if it was worth investing in a aerosol of compressed air intended for removing dust, as I wasn't sure how effective it was, and if it's too rough for cleaning PCBs.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 12:07 am   #2
GRID LEAK
Triode

Default Re: Using Canned Air For Removing Dust

Canned compressed air is perfectly safe for use on "MOST" electronic equipment. Just don't get too close to any delicate stuff. Its downside is the high cost of it. I use my garage compressor set to a lower pressure for cleaning purposes. A 12volt tyre inflator is a cheap and cheerful substitute, but it needs a 12volt supply to power it.
Regards
John.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 12:26 am   #3
Richard_FM
Octode

Thanks for the advice, I've heard of using air compressors to clear dust, I have an electric tyre pump so I might see how I get on with it, though I'll have to work out how to power it as it has an in car power connector.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 1:03 am   #4
Reelman
Octode

I was surprised how effective the canned air was for cleaning, it can clean up far faster than a manual brush. Just be careful where you use it.

My boss was using it in the workshop to clean an old pc motherboard that was thick with fluff, dust etc. Whilst I was impressed with the speed and resulting cleanliness he was not impressed when I said he should have done it outside rather than fill our lungs with human dust which of course went everywhere!

Peter
Old 18th Mar 2019, 8:35 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

I use one of these. Expensive to buy, but as a rechargeable device it's a once only payment.
https://www.canlessair.com
Old 18th Mar 2019, 10:41 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Following on from what Steve advised, I have the mains powered version: https://www.metrovacworld.com/produc...uster/overview

Not cheap, but then have you seen the price of air duster aerosols these days?

Seriously, it's been worth every penny and has made cleaning out old chassis a joy. Just take them out into the garden, plug in the blower, bit of assistance from a big paintbrush if need be, and the job's done in under a minute. I also use it for computers, TVs, audio gear, the lawnmower, clock cases, lampshades and so on.

£85 on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-220-2.../dp/B003BZCOKK

N
Old 18th Mar 2019, 11:12 am   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

I use an old airbrush compressor I got on gumtree for a tenner for this. That and a horse hair brush I stole off Mrs Bungle
Old 18th Mar 2019, 11:14 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

If you've got the space for a compressor, they're great too, though the air can be moist if you're not careful.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 12:08 pm   #9

Poundland do canned air, for a pound.

Old 18th Mar 2019, 12:26 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

The canned air, I assume, is aerosol propellant not actual air. So I'd be a bit concerned about what it is and where it comes from.

I have a compressor in the garage and the receiver (no, not that sort!) remains at about 150psi so I don't need to run it up to blow a bit of dust off anything. It really comes into its own for clearing sawdust out of the planer, router, etc.

But for things like rusty radio chassis, then a compressor also gives you the bead blasting gun option.

There isn't really enough utility in doing radio stuff to justify one, but if you already have one, or come across one for a low enough price, then it opens a whole new world.

David
Old 18th Mar 2019, 12:57 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I remember the late (and inimitable) Gerry Wells reckoning he could use his compressor to send woodworms flying from an infected cabinet - though maybe just a flight of fancy!
Old 18th Mar 2019, 1:35 pm   #12
Jonster
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Following on from what Steve advised, I have the mains powered version: https://www.metrovacworld.com/produc...uster/overview

Not cheap, but then have you seen the price of air duster aerosols these days?

Seriously, it's been worth every penny and has made cleaning out old chassis a joy. Just take them out into the garden, plug in the blower, bit of assistance from a big paintbrush if need be, and the job's done in under a minute. I also use it for computers, TVs, audio gear, the lawnmower, clock cases, lampshades and so on.

£85 on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-220-2.../dp/B003BZCOKK

N
I've got one of those DataVacs too, they are excellent.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 1:57 pm   #13
kalee20
Dekatron

Personally I prefer suck to blow. Paintbrushes plus vacuum cleaner.

This will remove the majority of the dust, without spreading it everywhere in the vicinity! After that, if necessary, the compressed air comes out. Great for cleaning air-spaced tuning capacitors, but watch the pressure!

As to canned air, I have never used one, so can't comment. Less than the cost of a dinner out, though!
Old 18th Mar 2019, 5:51 pm   #14
Restoration73
Nonode

Don't forget to use suitable personal protection e.g. goggles, dust mask etc.

Dust may contain chemical, radiological or bacteriological particles which in their mildest form could be an irritant, or have even more serious consequences.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 6:09 pm   #15

Quote:
Dust may contain chemical, radiological or bacteriological particles which in their mildest form could be an irritant, or have even more serious consequences.
The very same dust we live in day to day, a bit OTT for a simple cleaning operation without extra chemicals.

Old 18th Mar 2019, 6:18 pm   #16
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Using Canned Air For Removing Dust

Hi.
Just a thought about using a compressor for blowing out muck: is there the risk of crank case oil vapour being emitted in the air? I don't think 'domestic' garage compressors have an oil separator. Or do they have piston rings that don't require lubrication?
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 7:00 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

The piston rings are lubricated. Oil and water separators are normal for outputs used for paint spraying. Otherwise finishes are spoiled. Outputs used for air tools (drills, grinders saws) are sometimes provided with an oil injector. You have to take care to keep flexible hoses apart for clean and oily air.

David
Old 18th Mar 2019, 9:31 pm   #18
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
The very same dust we live in day to day, a bit OTT for a simple cleaning operation without extra chemicals.
He kids not about dust, I speak from personal experience, no mask...I ended up in a very bad way within half an hour or so after exposure, sometimes it's not the dust per se but what's on it.

Lawrence.
Old 18th Mar 2019, 10:09 pm   #19
vidjoman
Dekatron

Perhaps the answer is to use the lowest pressure to remove/loosen the dust and a vacuum system to suck up the debris.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 8:05 am   #20
John M0GLN
Octode

There should be no problems with old valve radios, but could using paint brushes and dry air on any sensitive semi-conductor devices cause problems with static electricity?

John
Closed Thread