UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2016, 9:08 am   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Relay noughts and crosses machine

Hi Folks, I've recently seen a neat relay and uniselector noughts and crosses machine that you can play against.
I quite fancy building one, does anyone have details or a circuit for this equipment?

Thanks, Ed
Old 4th Jul 2016, 11:51 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Relay noughts and crosses machine

Hi Folks, from some further research it appears that there was a design in one of the magazines in the 60's. I'm unable to track it down so does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Ed
Old 5th Jul 2016, 6:19 am   #3
mole42uk
Nonode

That reminds me of the fruit machines I helped design in Nottingham in the late 1970's - a chassis full if relays, lots of solenoids and cam timers!
I've never seen a o-x-o machine though.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 5th Jul 2016, 6:27 am   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think there was something in the Philips book 'Practical Robot Circuits' from the 1960s. I can't remember if complete circuit diagrams were given, or if it used valves as well as relays (the robot dog that takes up most of the book was stuffed with valves). I don't know where you could find said book now, but it might give you something to look for.
Old 5th Jul 2016, 9:35 am   #5
peter_scott
Dekatron

No circuit but you can count the relays!

http://www.computerhistory.org/revol...mes/16/187/780

Download Tic Tac Toe machine:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rc...838211&cad=rjt

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/a...ctoe-png.4031/
http://www.ez260.com/wp-content/uplo...e-relay-lg.png

Last edited by peter_scott; 5th Jul 2016 at 9:46 am.
Old 6th Jul 2016, 2:30 am   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi agents, thanks for that.
Peter, the one I've seen is pretty close to the computer history article, but has 2, uniselectors on the relay rack.
Tony, I remember the Philips book well, we had it in the school library and the electronics club started building the robot dog, from memory it used a lot of DL and DF series valves.
I don't remember the OXO machine though.
I have a good collection of the Philips Tech Library, but I've never managed to get a copy of the Robots book.

Ed
Old 6th Jul 2016, 10:54 pm   #7
Dekatron
Octode

Ed, there is a noughts and crosses machine in the Philips book but I can't see that it uses any uniselectors though. You can buy that book at Abesbooks, it is quite expensive in English there, but if you can read German it is a lot cheaper!

Last edited by Dekatron; 6th Jul 2016 at 10:55 pm. Reason: Wrong name.....
Old 7th Jul 2016, 7:39 am   #8
KeithsTV
Nonode

Ed. I've found one in a 1965 Practical Electronics but it doesn't use relays just switches. I can scan it tonight if you're interested.

In the back of my mind I think there may be one in one of the 70s issues. if I get a chance tonight I'll look for it.

Keith
Old 7th Jul 2016, 11:39 am   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Martin and Keith, thanks for that.
My German is not too rusty so I may give it a try from Abe.

Keith, this is for a museum use, and you are meant to play against the machine, so I'm really looking for a relay version where I can display the works.

Many thanks, Ed
Old 7th Jul 2016, 11:56 am   #10

Try here
http://www.vintagecomputer.net/cisc3...ic-tac-toe.pdf

MM

Old 7th Jul 2016, 1:13 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

The game logic isn't all that hard. The board has both mirror and spin symmetry, and "winning" and "spoiling" moves are of course very similar -- the difference being whether you place your O with two Os, or two Xs. If ever you don't need to spoil (because of bad play by the human opponent), play to create a fork and so give yourself two winning opportunities -- the opponent can only spoil one of them. You will need 18 main relay banks (2 per square; one for an O there and the other for an X there) -- I say relay banks because you will need lots of contacts operated by each coil.

Actually, the hardest thing might be building in a way to let the machine lose sometimes!
Old 7th Jul 2016, 3:00 pm   #12
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: Relay noughts and crosses machine

Hi all,
My cousin had one when I was a child. I remember it well. It worked off a big 6 Volt battery. He built as an exam project at school. I do not think he has it now and I know not where he got the circuit. I remember the relays on the back clicking in and out as you made your selection.
Happy days.
Paul.
Old 7th Jul 2016, 3:58 pm   #13
bc312
Pentode

This link shows a clip of the Donald Davies machine in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNxBb_27CA

I remembered there was an ad in Practical Wireless in the early 1960's for a schematic of a noughts and crosses machine using Yaxley switches. These switches were easy and cheap to purchase back then and I built the machine. It worked well but had the advantage of always starting the game first. Later as a Post Office apprentice I managed to get hold of some relays and uniselectors and rebuilt the machine much to the amusement of colleagues. Sadly the machine was dismantled years ago and I don't know what happened to the schematic.
Mention above of the book Practical Robot Circuits had me searching my bookshelves. Having found the book I looked at the chapter on the noughts and crosses machine; something of a 'colossus' with at least 25 valves!

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Old 7th Jul 2016, 7:37 pm   #14
saddlestone-man
Hexode

I seem to remember a NIM machine being described in Practical Electronics sometime in the 1960s. Does anyone have that article / circuit? I think it worked with switches and lamps.

Best regards. Stef.
Old 7th Jul 2016, 9:36 pm   #15
KeithsTV
Nonode

Yes I found that article while looking for the noughts and crosses machine. As you said it uses some quite complex switching with lamp indicators.

Keith
Old 8th Jul 2016, 4:55 pm   #16
Andrew2
Nonode

I can't recall ever coming across an OXO machine, but there was a fad in the mid 60's (I think) for electronic combination locks of various complexities, some with timers that booted you out if you took too long to set the numbers.
Old 9th Jul 2016, 1:00 pm   #17
Karen O
Rest in Peace

As a child I remember seeing a noughts and crosses machine at Birmingham Science Museum though it was not operational on the occasion I visited.

Many years later I hoped to see it at Millenium Point but alas I couldn't find it.

To be honest, I don't know whether it was electromechanical or not.

It saddens me to think that machine might be buried in a landfill
Old 9th Jul 2016, 7:16 pm   #18
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I remember this as well, it had a big heavy handle to move the pointer across the board, and you could hear the relays clicking. Later on I used to go to the museum occasionally as I worked for the GPO in Newhall Street.

I went to Millennium Point as well about 10 years ago now and also looked to see if it was still there. Sad!
Old 11th Jul 2016, 10:48 am   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, many thanks for the inputs.
The one I saw in a museum in Melbourne had a 3*3 keypad as well as a series of buttons so you could select your symbol and if you wanted to play first, etc.
The telecom style relays were all on a rack and did not appear to have too many contats. there were also 2, uniselectors, but only single plane of operation types, looked about 6 pole.
The display was about 50mm square for each of the 9 cells and appeared to be incandescent behind a ground glass screen. The whole lot was housed in an 800*800 display case.

I am hoping to replicate this for a display in the Newcastle Discovery museum.

Ed
Old 14th Jul 2016, 8:03 am   #20
Viewmaster
Hexode

Nombrex made a Crosso machine in the 1950's.

http://puzzlemuseum.com/month/picm07/2007-04-crosso.htm
Closed Thread