UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2017, 6:56 pm   #21
Arqiva BOC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Re-validating Amateur Radio Licences with Ofcom

I'm having the same problem! I know I have two licenses, and I know they are both valid (I had two SES NoVs issued last year!)

Seems their database upgrade didn't go quite as smoothly as they hoped!

Martin G7MRV
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 6:59 pm   #22

Quote:
That nay be so but travelling outside the UK with a non-photocard driving licence will give you a whole world-of-hurt
I don't travel outside the UK, too much to see here and too much hassle.

Old 3rd Apr 2017, 9:07 pm   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I went through the phase of 'Aaggh! How long ago did I last refresh my licence?' towards the end of last year and discovered that my carefully kept login details for the Ofcom website no longer worked. I contacted them via email and in due course they refreshed my licence for me in October 2016.

David's OP reminded me that I still had not managed to get to the point where I could get into Ofcom's website to nudge it myself every now and again, so I went through the steps - had to re-register, but once it had my name and address it also found my callsign / licence and paired it up with me.

I then decided, while I was there, to nudge the renewal date by revalidating the license... and like another poster, could see absolutely no way to do that.

I happened to notice that my phone number was wrong (completely wrong, don't know why, it's always been the same) and so I amended that detail and saved the changes, but that action alone did not refresh the license as someone else suggested it might.

Is there or is there not a 'Revalidate Licence' button somewhere on that site?

If not, why not?
Old 4th Apr 2017, 7:05 am   #24
dsergeant
Octode

I think the date shown as 'issue date' is when your licence itself was last changed (mine is showing 2015 when they last modified the terms of the amateur licence). But when you log in it should show you when you last updated or verified your personal details on the dashboard. If this is not changing then you probably need to refresh your browser cache.

There is no 'revalidate' button, the simple action of going into managing your personal details and saving is classed as revalidating.
Old 4th Apr 2017, 11:06 am   #25
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Some websites will not let you 'save' details which have not changed. I don't know if Ofcom's is like that, but it does seem perverse to insist on revalidating every 5 years with a website which forgets users' passwords quicker than the users forget them and does not have a 'revalidate' button. As most of us end up having to email Ofcom to ask them to sort it, why not just ask us to email them every 5 years? That would save them the trouble of paying someone to 'maintain' their website.
Old 4th Apr 2017, 8:20 pm   #26
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

The second last time I revalidated my licence online, before the site was 'redecorated', I can distinctly remember that I did just press a 'Revalidate my licence' button and was greeted with a 'Thank you for revalidating your licence' message. It was as simple as that.

My 'Issue date' is the date upon which I had Ofcom manually revalidate my licence for me last year, so I'm taking that as the last time it was revalidated.

The 'Licencing dashboard' informs me that my personal details were updated yesterday. ...But that's the details of the licence holder, who may also hold a business PMR licence, a Marine radio licence and so on.

The only date specific to my amateur licence is the 'Issue date' which is October 2016, so that's the date I have to assume my licence is counting down the five years from.
Old 4th Apr 2017, 8:55 pm   #27
Reelman
Octode

If you do re-register check your junk email if you can't find the Ofcom email. Discovered I didn't need to renew until 2020.
Ofcom are indeed very helpful.
Peter.
Old 4th Apr 2017, 8:56 pm   #28

I 'phoned them today, really easy, I was sent an email with a link to login and set a password, that worked. Although when I tried before it didn't recognise my email address, they had it on their system anyway. A quick connection (less than 30 seconds including the 'press this for..' menus) to the man I spoke to who was polite and properly (i.e. the thing was sorted) helpful, why can't all things over the 'phone work that well? 10/10 for this OFCOM. It wasn't a premium rate number either, just a normal one.

Old 6th Apr 2017, 3:54 pm   #29
Arqiva BOC
Retired Dormant Member

Had reply to my email yesterday, I'd managed to somehow create a duplicate but empty account. These were merged for me and now I have proper access again.
Closed Thread