UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Nov 2012, 11:50 am   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default Filling a round hole in a white DAC90 cabinet 12mm diam.

I have a DAC90A cabinet with a 12mm round hole in the side. Any recommendations on how I could repair it?

Regards,
Dick.
Old 4th Nov 2012, 1:05 pm   #2

Default Re: Filling a round hole in a white DAC90 cabinet 12mm diam.

Colour? Where? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 4th Nov 2012, 2:35 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

.......................................^^^^....... ..................

.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Nov 2012, 2:44 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

..and it's in the side of the cabinet where, by strange coincidence, there's a hole for the tuning shaft (DAC90) or wavechanger shaft (DAC90A). Presumably we're talking about an extra, unwanted, hole though.
Old 4th Nov 2012, 2:45 pm   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

I would use a piece from the bottom carefully cut to size then super glue it in place try and disguise the joint. Fill the hole in the bottom with plastic padding and paint.

Mick.
Old 4th Nov 2012, 5:00 pm   #6

Quote:
then super glue it in place
Oh that's too quick, I would do as vinrads suggested but use tape to stick the outside of the repair to the outside of the hole (i.e. stick tape over the hole and push the repair onto it from the inside), warm it all up (almost unbearable hand heat) then dribble slow set Araldite into the gap. As you will now have some bakelite dust mix that into the adhesive.

Old 4th Nov 2012, 5:04 pm   #7

Handy hint... If using the wife's hairdryer to heat it up let her hold it, you won't belive the trouble caused by having glue on the handle. (genders and or relationships can be changed to protect PCness)

Old 4th Nov 2012, 5:17 pm   #8
Leon Crampin
Octode

I restored a white DAC90A for my sister - I'm quite happy with a brown one.

There were various cabinet defects; broken bosses for the rear securing screws and a very badly chipped flange on the wavechange knob.

My initial approach was to fill these gaps with Araldite (slow set) with suitable masking to get the correct shape. I then found that if you sand the Araldite with fine glass paper, it assumes a milky appearance and takes on the colour of the urea formaldehyde behind the missing piece.

Using the correct grade of abrasive paper is the key here - the rear screw bosses are invisible to the user, but I was very pleased with the repair to the flange on the knob.

Leon.
Closed Thread