UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2019, 12:46 pm   #1
Steve_G4HTZ
Triode

Default RA-17 mute

Hi all
Just getting into AM on 160 and 80m .
Recently acquired a heathkit DX100U and a Racal Ra-17 ..both of which seem to be in working order .
I have made up a tx/RX antenna switch box which is controlled via the DX100U a/c socket .

How do I go about muting RA-17 ....looking at circuit diagram it seems you could break the DC link on the back with a relay on TX ....would have to measure current at this point to see if it is within rating of contact on relay RX/tx switch .

I'm guessing this has probably been asked before but couldn't find information anywhere .

Regards
Steve G4HTZ
Old 28th Feb 2019, 3:10 pm   #2
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: RA-17 mute

When I used an RA17 with a transmitter I just used the link terminals on the back, switched with a Tx/Rx relay.
Any relay capable of switching 300V DC at 100mA or more should be OK. In my case it was a rather heavy-duty Omron MK3 plug-in type that I happened to have available when I converted the transmitter (a KW Vanguard) to relay operation.
Old 28th Feb 2019, 10:21 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

In the Racal RA17L, the AGC line is connected to the terminal block on the rear of the chassis.

If you used a relay to connect a 25V negative supply to this terminal you may be able to mute the receiver. It only needs to supply half a milli-Amp to do this. You could try it with three PP3s wired in series.
If this works satisfactorily, you could use the internal -25V DC supply that is used for the AGC.

You could remove one of the 600 Ohm 3mW audio outputs and use one of the terminals to terminate the internal -25V DC supply.
Old 1st Mar 2019, 7:44 am   #4
Steve_G4HTZ
Triode

Thanks for information....something to work with.

Steve.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 5:40 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Achieving muting by breaking the HT line, though it works, is not ideal.

The relatively-unloaded HT rail will rise towards the peak-voltage delivered by the HT transformer, causing additional stress on the HT filter capacitors and then when you re-make the HT circuit this excess voltage gets 'dumped' into the rest of the circuit . In some radios (such as the AR88) this can be ruinous!

With no HT during 'transmit' periods there's a risk that local-oscillator valves will change in temperature, causing frequency-drift.

With the power-dissipation varying between receive and transmit, the insides of the radio will vary in temperature, again potentially causing frequency-drift.

The 'mute-by-bias' approach keeps the HT line loaded, and the local-oscillators running continually so they should be more stable.

There's also the advantage that by setting an appropriate level of bias the receiver is not totally muted, so you can use it to provide "side-tone".
Closed Thread